A Rushed Return

It was boxing day and Hermione was leaving for Australia to see if she could find her parents and restore their memories. Everyone wished her well as she shrugged a pack onto her shoulders and vanished on the spot. Once she was gone, Harry and Ron sat on the lawn discussing Lucius's visit.

"I mean, how in the bloody hell did he get out of Azkaban?" Ron screwed up his face and plucked a blade of grass, twisting it into a green blob.

"Dunno," Harry shrugged. "But I think Draco's in trouble."

He told Ron all about the letter and the hastily scrawled 'help' at the end in tiny letters so that Harry had had to magnify it with his wand. They passed theories back and forth until each sounded worse than the last. Ginny came out to join them but Harry could hardly look at her. Who was he to love? When she kissed him, it was like he was betraying someone. She noticed his kiss was like kissing a block of wood but didn't pull him up on it. Instead she said, "Harry, I understand your heart is torn into two and I don't mind. Just so long as I can love one half of it."

With that, she walked away. Ron eyed Harry who had a tear glistening on his cheek.

"Mate, you're going soft on me," he clapped Harry on the back.

"Merlins pants no," Harry laughed and despite the weight in his heart, he found it in him to laugh before telling Ron they had to find Draco. Ron rolled his eyes but agreed. They headed inside and told everyone that they were going somewhere for some quiet time and that no one could follow them. Surprisingly, everyone agreed and soon the duo were pulling their wands out and dissaparating. The familier suffocating feeling enveloped Harry and they landed messily on the gravel outside Malfoy Manor.

"Hasn't changed much," Harry remarked quietly. "Still creepy."

Ron nodded fervently and they crept up the path and through the front doors which stood ajar. And suddenly a high scream sounded from somewhere in the depths of the manor. Harry winced and yanked his wand from his pocket, gripping it tight. So tight that his knuckles were going white. Ron paled as they sneaked over the black tiles that were patterned with snakes. Another scream full of terror and pain echoed through the halls and Harry whipped his head around, trying to locate the source of the sound. There was no doubt in his mind that the screaming was coming from Draco but the question was where?

"Harry," Ron whispered, pointing to a tight spiral stair case that lead upwards. Harry nodded and they crept up the stairs, taking care to make sure none of them creaked. Another scream made Harry want to blast the walls apart to search for Draco. The last time he'd heard screams like that, it was in this very house but it was Hermione...

"-disgrace to the name of Malfoy!"

Harry jumped and spun to face the door. He pressed his ear to it but there was no need; Lucius's voice sounded loud and clear. Then Draco spoke in a pained but defiant tone with just a hint of his old sneer.

"Then maybe I don't want to be a Malfoy anymore!"

Harry felt an odd fluttering in his chest, somewhere in the depths of his heart and with a crack of his knuckles, he prepared to barge through the door.

"Uh, Harry?" Ron hissed, terror seeping into his tone. Harry rolled his eyes and turned to glare at Ron. That's when his blood turned to ice in his veins. Four Death Eaters in full mask stood before them, wands at the ready. Harry swore under his breath and twitched his wand. The first Death Eater let out a very unmanly squeal as he was hoisted into the air by his ankle. His robes trailed in the air and revealed some interestingly colored bloomers. Snorting, Ron blasted another Death Eater over the side of the banister and heard the solid crunch as he connected with the tiles below. Harry stunned the third and hit the fourth with a red beam to the chest which singed a hole in his robes and burned all the hair and skin off his chest. He collapsed with a scream and Harry blasted the lot of them through the banister to join the other below. Just as he was sweeping his hair from his face, he felt Ron tug his arm. He was about to snap at Ron, demand to know what the hell the problem was when suddenly the cold sneering voice told him everything he needed to know.