You're Hired

The following morning Chris wakes up from his sleep. He sits up stretching his arms out. He looks over on the other side of the bed and Anna was no longer there. She must have slipped out last night. 

He slides of bed and gets ready for work. Once he was done leaves his room walking down the hallway toward the kitchen. He opens the door and Gloria greets him with his morning coffee. He takes it and drinks a few sips. 

Marci comes into the kitchen smiling directly at Chris who is sitting on the stool by the counter. She leans over propping her elbows to support her. Chris lifts his head up to acknowledge her giving her a weak smile. 

"How are feeling this morning?" asks Marci. 

"I'm feeling better, thanks for asking." replies Chris. 

"Sorry to hear about you and Annabel. I'm sure you'll find someone worth being with." 

"I don't think I'll have to worry about finding someone else." 

Marci's face harden as she leans back from him. He's still going to give that gold digger another chance! Why can't he see that she is no good for him? These questions burned in her mind. She needs to come up with another plan to end their relationship for good. 

"Marci, you wouldn't happen to know where I can find William?" adds Chris breaking her train of thought. 

"Uh, yes I do. May I ask why you're looking for him?" answered Marci.

"I'm hiring him back as my foreman." 

"But, you already have one which is my uncle." 

"I know, not that Jim hasn't been doing a great job I just need better work done around here. Now, tell me where I can find him." 

"He's staying with Ruben's house." 

Chris gets up from his seat and heads out on horseback to the location. Marci wasn't happy that her uncle was losing his position, yet was thrilled about the news of William coming back to work. She is going to take advantage of this situation to unravel Anna. 

Marci prances out of the kitchen and out to the stables where Annabel was. She is standing there grooming her horse. Anna sees her and starts to shake her head annoyed. 

"What do you want?" asks Anna coldly. 

"Oh, I'm just here to spread the wonderful news." answered Marci joyfully. 

"I doubt it's wonderful." 

"I beg to differ. Chris is on his way to William's place and offer his old job back." 

Anna froze where she stood turning to look at Marci. Why is Chris hiring William to work for him? After what happened between the two he's bringing him back. What's the catch? 

Marci is enjoying the reaction on Anna's face. Having William around is going to create a major conflict in between them two. She plans to help him get Anna back leaving Chris free for the taking. 

"What's wrong Annabel? Afraid that you might slip up again and go back to him." mocked Marci. 

"You would like that to happen wouldn't you?" replied Anna sarcastically.

"Pretty much. Chris could've been mine before you showed up."

"Right, because he was so in to you when I wasn't around. Face it, you little snake. You're nothing, but a maid."

Anna shoves past Marci leaving the stables. Marci stands there gritting her teeth and giving Anna a burning stare as she walked away. She couldn't wait to prove her wrong.

Chris hops off his horse walking towards Ruben's front door. He knocks on it waiting for answer. The door opens slowly and there stood William leaning against the frame. They stare each other down for a brief moment.

"Morning, William. How are you?" greets Chris politely.

"I'm doing alright. How's your injuries? I see their healing up." answers William casually.

"Their fine I get these stitches taken out in a few days."

"Good to hear. So, um, what brings you here?"

Chris hands William the manila envelope from his back pocket. He watches as he opens it and a stack of one thousand dollars slides out into his hand. William flips through it before putting it back in the envelope.

"Consider this as a first installment and there's plenty more where that came from." assure Chris.

"Let me guess, you going to pay me one thousand dollars to stay away from Annabel?" retorted William.

"No that's not it. I'm hiring you to be my foreman on the plantation."

"Jim is your foreman."

"He won't be anymore if you accept the position."

William let out a sigh unsure of what to say. He has the opportunity to be around Anna. There has to be a catch to this whole thing.

"Look, the point is I need you. You were my best man on the job and things were getting done as they're suppose to." adds Chris sincerely.

"What's in it for you? Nobody offers something with out getting something in return." questions William suspiciously.

"The catch is I need my old foreman back to get things done. I trust you enough to handle my workers accordingly and that my cattle meets the recommendations for selling. What do you say?"

Chris held his hand out to William. He hesitates a moment before grasping it in his. They shake each others hand firmly maintaining eye contact.

"I'll see you bright and early tomorrow morning, Boss." said William.

Chris nods his head in agreement and walks over to his horse. He mounts himself back on and rides off back home. William stands there looking inside the envelope. He still wanted to know why Chris hired him again. Was planning to take revenge on the fight they had or was it something else?

***Sorry if it's a little short, but I will try and update sometime this week. What do you think about this whole situation? Vote and Comment please!***