Sneak Attack

Chris is working out in the fields with William. Since that day in the stables the two barely interacted on for orders. William maintained his distance from him so he didn't have to talk. As Chris is hauling a bail of hay with two other crew members in the distance stood Marci. He wipes the sweat from his brow walking over to her. She is smiling from ear to ear as she stood there staring at him.

"What are you doing here, Marci?" said Chris.

"I don't get a "Hello"? It's been awhile since I've seen you." replied Marci.

"I'm not in the mood for your sarcasm today. What do you want?"

"Chris, you and I have been friends since we were little kids. I realize that I have been a terrible friend to you. If I was truly your friend I would want you to be happy. No matter what or who make you happy."

"Marci, I want to believe you I really do. How do I know you won't try to hurt my wife?"

Marci cringed to the sound of "my wife" coming from Chris' lips. If she wants to gain his good graces then she should practice what she preaches. She smiles up at Chris taking him by the hand. She stared deep into his chocolate eyes gazing ever so gently as her heart began to race in her chest. It may be easy to convince Chris she will play along, however Annabel is going to be a challenge.

"I give you my word I won't do anything to harm you or Annabel. Please Chris, just give me one more chance. I beg you!"

Chris is surprised that Marci was begging to come back to work on the plantation. She was not the begging type nor would she say it in one sentence. He doesn't know if wants to give her a chance. He knew if he let her back Annabel would wonder why?

"I hate my job in town. I miss the fresh air and open spaces. I miss working in the fields, cleaning, and I miss my childhood friend." added Marci in tears.

Chris let out a sigh running his hand through his hair.

"Fine. You can come back, BUT this is your last chance and I will have Gloria watching over you. You so much as try anything I will throw you out personally. Understand?" said Chris firmly.

Marci covers her mouth in shock bouncing up and down with joy. Not only is she happy to be back she is ready to set her plan in motion to get rid of Annabel. Her plan to destroy Chris' marriage and turn him against Anna. She wraps her arms around Chris, but he pushes her away.

"Marci, this is strictly professional. Understand?" said Chris sternly.

"I'm sorry...I just got carried away. I promise it won't happen again." assures Marci with a smile.

"Go talk with Gloria about where your room is going to be. If you will excuse me I need to get back to work."

Marci nods her head in agreement walking toward the house. William casually walks away following after her.

"So, Marci what sad little story did you tell Chris in order to get back here?" said William suspiciously.

Marci cracks a grin turning around to face him. Of course she knew he only cared about Anna and keeping her safe from her revenge. William stands there patiently waiting for Marci. Deep down he knows she's up to something.

"There is no sad story. I just want to work for my best friend that is all." replied Marci with innocence in her tone.

"You can fool every one else into believing your lies, but not me. I know you too well Marci." William retorts.

"What do you mean lies? I see you are back in Chris' good graces again...hmm I wonder why?"

"Chris and I have known each other far longer than you. I know my place in this plantation and that's to make sure people like you don't destroy what he has."

"Ooo, is that so? Just answer me one question to prove me wrong."

"What question is that?"

"Are you still in love with Annabel?"

William clenches his jaw glaring at Marci who is grinning from ear to ear. He takes in a deep breath and even though it may be a lie he can't let her win.

"No." replied William.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive, but if you so much as to try and hurt Chris' wife...I'll make sure you never work here again."

Marci rolls her eyes walking away angry. She knows for sure that he will be watching her every move. She definitely needed to play it safe so he doesn't suspect a thing.

Annabel steps out of her room heading toward the foyer she suddenly came across James. She nearly jumped out of her skin when he stood there. He greets her from a warm smile and she does the same.

"Afternoon, my lady." said James.

"Afternoon James, has my husband come home yet for lunch?" asks Anna.

"No, he hasn't. But, I did see him talking with some young lady out in the field."

"What young lady?"

"I don't know her by name, however she looks as though she knows him by the way they were hugging."

"Hugging? Does she have brownish hair?"

"Yes."

"Marci, that little snake."

"I didn't think Chris was into that type of girls. I mean why would he hire someone like her into this house."

James cups his mouth feeling guilty for having said too much. Annabel's eyes widen to what he said. Chris gave her another chance to work in this house. Why would he do that? He knows that she is just giving an excuse to be around him again and get rid of her.

"Forgive me Annabel I shouldn't have said that out loud." said James.

Annabel turns her back from him trying to keep her emotions in check. She just couldn't believe Marci is back. She can feel James step up behind her placing one had on her shoulder.

"Oh, Anna please forgive me. I never meant to upset you so." said James gently into her ear.

Her body tenses up as she felt his warm breath against her neck. It felt strange that James was being this way to her. She turns around to look at him. His dark brown eyes burned into hears as he gazed into them.

"No, it's fine. I'm glad you told me James. You're a good friend." replied Annabel.

James takes her by her hands placing a kiss on them. He gives her bright smile cupping the side of her face with one hand. Anna couldn't understand why he was being so affectionate with her. It was rather uncomfortable.

"Thank you my dear Anna. It warms my heart to hear you say that. I consider you as my friend as well."

Anna just smiles at him politely.

"I just want you to know that I will always be here for you." mentions James.

"I appreciate that. I'm going to head out to talk with Chris. I'll see you at dinner." said Anna walking out the front door.

Her heart is racing in her chest as she heads toward the fields where Chris was. There was something about James that didn't sit right with her yet she couldn't put her finger on it. She shook her head in disbelief not trying to overreact about him. What she really wanted to know is why Chris let Marci back into their lives? He knows how dangerous she is. Why?

***Omg I am so sorry everyone. I have just been MIA lately. I do hope to start back up writing again now that i have free time. So be on the look out for new updates on this story and for Her Lips are Sin. Vote and comment please!! Love you all for staying faithful and reading ☺***