Chapter Fifteen - Gabriel: Vampire Chauffeur and Messenger of the Lord

Chapter Fifteen- Gabriel: Vampire Chauffeur and Messenger of the Lord

When I woke again the car had stopped and there was no sound or indication Roran or Altair were anywhere nearby. I chanced a glimpse around the sheet and found I was right: Roran and Altair were nowhere in sight and it was quite dark out.

My hands shook as I tried to grasp the door handle and my head was still dizzy, but eventually I managed to hop out of the SUV.

Into an empty field. A barren, desolate field with no landmarks or buildings.

"What?" I mused aloud.

My first thought was that I was still dreaming, but the burning pain in my lungs and throat told me otherwise. The cuts on my knuckles hadn't healed either. If I had been able to breath deeply enough I might have screamed in frustration. But since my chest still felt tight, I only managed an aggravated huff.

The rustling of dry grass alerted me to the fact I wasn't alone. The sound came from somewhere to my right, but I couldn't make out the person or animal responsible. Where was my night vision? Why couldn't I see?

"Roran?" I called. "Altair?"

"No."

A man's voice. And a familiar one, but I couldn't place it. While he didn't sound threatening, I backed up against the SUV so he would have to approach me from the front. I needed to know whom I was facing.

When a tall, half-naked man with golden hair and eyes came into view I was even more puzzled. I had never met him before, yet I knew his voice? How was that possible?

"Hello, Alethea," he said, giving a little bow. His mouth stretched wide, as if trying to form a smile, but the action seemed foreign to him.

"Hello...?" I responded. My eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Have we met?"

"A few times now, although seeing me in this form must be confusing to you. My name is Gabriel."

I opened my mouth, but no words came out. Blinking in confusion, I tried to process the words I had just heard. Gabriel. The archangel?

"Have you malfunctioned?" he questioned, peering at me closely. With a shake of his head and a sigh he began again, "Apologies, I am still attempting to learn the proper way to express things in this language. Are you unwell?"

"You're Gabriel."

"Yes."

"The archangel?"

"Yes."

"How? Why—?"

He frowned. "Why am I Gabriel the archangel? " As if pondering his answer, Gabriel's eyes became unfocused and he hummed under his breath. Before he could spend too much time wondering about his existence however, I corrected my query.

"No, no. I meant to say, why are you here...like...this?"

Gabriel brightened and attempted his odd form of a smile. "Ah. I am here to assist you in your endeavors. And it appears I am just in time." Looking around us in confusion he asked, "Why are we in a field?"

I frowned. "You didn't bring us here?"

"No."

"And I don't guess you know where Roran is either? Altair?"

Gabriel cocked his head to the side and scowled. "They are missing?"

"Apparently," I grumbled. "They weren't here when I woke up."

"That is very troubling," he whispered, his eyes widening in fear. "We must go in search of them at once."

"How do you plan to do that? I'm too messed up to drive, and I doubt you have a working knowledge of automobiles."