Chapter 21: Go straight to hell, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars

During my time as a ghost, I hadn't really had time to think about anything other than escaping or saving my friends, but now, now as I watched Lucifer gloat over his victory, my mind was full of horrifying possibilities.

Had he been behind everything?

Needing to know how long I had been his pawn, I asked, "How long have you been using me? Who else has been 'helping you'?"

Without turning to acknowledge me, he replied, "You already know the answers to those questions."

The light dimmed and the landscape began to change in front of my eyes. We were no longer in a tunnel of light, but back in the world of the living, very near to the fort where I died. Only now dead bodies were scattered across the grass.

"Why me?" I asked, feeling like a heavy weight had settled on my soul. "Why am I so important?"

Lucifer turned to me and laughed. "Important? You're not even slightly important. You were convenient. And you fit a general description of Roran's type."

"What does he have to do with all this?"

"He has everything to do with this. He is important. Crucial to my plans, actually. Which is why I needed a plant. Someone I could use to get to him: get under his skin and make him let his guard down."

I stared at him, feeling both disgusted and horrified. If I were still alive, I might have thrown up. Either unaware of my suffering, or indifferent, Lucifer continued to brag.

"You were so pathetic, I honestly didn't know if he would take the bait. But apparently the Phoenix has a thing for damsels in distress because he fell for you on a matter of days."

Shaking my head furiously I demanded to know, "Why? What purpose does him caring about me serve?"

A chilling grin spread over Lucifer face and a shadow fell over his eyes. I trembled in fear, despite already being dead.

"Oh, dearest Thea, he gave me everything. Everything I needed. Showed me how to get a Phoenix to give up their power, how to escape Purgatory, and soon he'll reveal the final piece of the puzzle I need."

"But no one can leave Purgatory anymore. I made sure of that," I reminded, straightening my spine and refusing to give in and cower in fear.

"Yes, you did. And what a wonderful turn of events that was. I had thought I'd have to convince Delilah to do it."

Nothing he was saying was making any sense. "I don't understand."

Lucifer pretended to pout and responded, "Oh, I know. Poor dear. You never see anything until it's too late."

Determined to prove him wrong, I narrowed my eyes and thought about everything he had revealed to me so far. Lucifer had put me in Purgatory to get Roran to "let his guard down" and reveal things only he knew. He knew how to use his powers to get out of Purgatory by saving someone he loved, and he knew now that no one could ever leave thanks to my spell.

Soon he'll reveal the final piece of the puzzle I need, he had said.

But what? What else could Roran possibly know? He knows how to get to Purgatory without dying...

"Why now?" I asked, not really talking to Lucifer, but saying my thoughts aloud. "Roran was out of Purgatory for months. Why wait for me to die to get what you want?"

"Two reasons. You're an infuriating nuisance and I wanted you out of the way. And I needed a bargaining chip. Two birds, one stone and all that."

"You were useful, occasionally. Getting information I needed, manipulating situations to my benefit. And, of course, bringing all of the nephilim together to try and stop cambion was the most helpful thing."