20: Ezio's Clue

Even if Anna were tired, she wouldn't have fallen sleep that night anyway. Instead, she sat in the brig cell with the barred door wide open with her Assassin's manual. She sighed and flipped open to the history section. In the candle light, she learned all about the two most influential Assassins in the history of the world: Altaïr and Ezio. She also studied The Creed, and most importantly, what it takes to be an Assassin.
It was strange to sit and study a book like a school girl with a ordinary life.

When Anna heard the first of the crew begin to stir above her, she quickly closed her eyes and went to sleep on the prison floor.

A few hours later, Adawalé walked in nervously,
"Anna? For heaven's sake, lass! What are you doing here? I've been looking all over for you!"
He exclaimed as he opened the cell door wider.

Anna rubbed the sleep out of her eyes,

"Kenway kicked me out of his cabin last night...
Do you know who Caroline is, Adé?"

Adawalé shifted nervously,
"No. But you need to come topside and work today. There are no free hands on the ship you know that."

Anna nodded and got ready for the day's work. She set one very simple rule for herself.

Do not talk to Edward.

Just the thought of him make her stomach twist sickly. She shook her head as she made her way topside. She ignored the strange glances as she went straight to the bucket on the deck and began scrubbing the floor with two other pirates. She cautiously looked up at the helm to find Kenway staring at her. His eyes showed the effects of cold rejection. Anna gave him an angry glace as she began to scrub the deck.

After tonight, just one more day until Havana..

The day passed slowly, but Anna got to spend much more time with her friends and uncle, Russell.

Eventually, it was time for supper. John served his usual fish stew, and Anna waited in line in between Joel and Russell. Both men asked her what had happened last night, but Anna quickly dismissed it and changed the subject. After the crew ate, Soap began to play some tunes and the crew had some free time. Every time Anna's eyes went near the captain, she could see him staring at her. His nose was swollen and his jaw was purple. Anna shot him a sinister glance before picking up some bowls.

She went to the kitchen to helped John with the dishes in order to escape Edward's stare.
When the full pirates filed into the kitchen to stack their dirty dishes, John told Anna to go to the pantry to "check to see how much salt we have."
Anna nodded gratefully. She was no fool: John wanted Anna to have her time away from Edward.

As soon as she went in the pantry, she leaned against the wall and took a deep breath. However, before she even let her breath completely out, Edward rushed inside the pantry as well and shut the door.

Great. Now not only am I in the same place with him, he is blocking my way out.

Anna just stared straight ahead at the shelves as Edward calmly asked,
"Care to hear me explain?"

Anna clenched her fists,
"I think you made it perfectly clear last night. Now, if you'll excuse me.."

She tried to walk past Edward, but her grabbed her arm and held her firm. Anna radiated calm anger.
Edward sighed,

"I haven't seen Caroline in almost five years.

Anna met his unreadable expression,
"Why didn't you say that last night, Kenway?"
She bantered.

"I tried!" He pleaded while giving a worried glance towards the door,

"I tried.. but you punched me in the face."
He said with frustration.