37: Scarlet Death

The hunter brig was closing in on them so fast, the drunken pirates barely had time to prepare. Jacques led a small party of the most cognative men below deck and hoisted the cannons back from the firing windows.

Anna and Boney perched silently on opposite ends of The Eagle's rigging above. Kidd scurried about the deck with the remaining handful of her men who could still stand.

Anna looked down at the poor number of unfit hands on deck,

"I will not die here today." Anna growled under her breath.

The hunter brig was so close now, Anna could read her name with her naked eyes.

La Mort Rouge, French for 'The Scarlet Death'.

From up high in the rigging of The Eagle, Anna and Boney hid behind the mast and held on dearly as the La Mort Rouge viciously rammed into the larboard of The Eagle. The force nearly knocked Boney over the edge of the towering platform and onto the deck far below. The Eagle groaned painfully as her wood splintered from the pressure. The crew of the enemy ship released a blood curling battle cry.

The captain of the La Mort Rouge hungrily eyed the deck of his prey ship.

He called to his crew with his thick French accent,

"Hold fire!"

The enemy crew went quiet as the their captain shifted his calculating gaze between Kidd and her men on the deck of The Eagle.

Kidd and her men stood on the deck their arms up in surrender.

The captain of the La Mort Rouge called to his men,

"Full quarter! Arrest them all!" He shouted.

Kidd and her men on deck obediently stood still with their hands up in defeat as they waited for their arrest. The French bounty hunters approached the edge of their ship to jump aboard The Eagle when suddenly, all hell broke loose.

From below deck of The Eagle, Jacques gave the signal. A dozen of the half-drunk pirates leaned out of the cannon holes with their pistols. They aimed up directly upwards at the bounty hunters about to board them, and released an avalanche of metal into the enemie's bodies.

Many of the bullets missed their drunken marks, but more than a handful of the bounty hunters fell lifelessly into the thin channel of ocean between the two ships.

The bounty hunters cried out in surprise and quickly began to return fire at The Eagle's hull.

On The Eagle's deck, Kidd and the decoy group on deck took cover and grapped their weapons from the ground. They eagerly raised their pistols at the hunters and fired. From the rigging up above, Anna and Boney lit their crates of gunpowder. Once the dooming sparks raced up the fuzes, the women threw the crates down at the deck of the La Mort Rouge with all their strength.

BOOOOOM! BOOOOOM! BOOOOOM!

The deadly thunder of the explosives exploding against the deck of the La Mort Rouge echoed through the sea. Several of the bounty hunters flew to kingdom come, and some ran about desperately, covered in terrible flames. They quickly jumped into the sea in agony. Anna grinned sinisterly at the paniced cries of the bounty hunters.

The deck of the La Mort Rouge was now a death zone of flame. The infuriated French Captain of the bounty hunters drew his sharp, Swiss sword,

"All men to the enemy ship! Make them suffer!"
He shrieked above the chaos.

His men flew like an angry tsunami across the thin channel of sea to the deck of The Eagle.