five: bittersweet

five: bittersweet

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I find myself standing in the kitchen by myself after that awkward encounter. Realizing my situation, I run upstairs and into my room. I walk into the bathroom and realize I'm still covered in flour. I wash my face and clean off my sweater.

The silent buzz of my phone draws my attention. The screen read that I have seven missed calls all from mom. Oops.

I quickly dial mom's number hoping she isn't mad.

"Blakley Anne Adams, why have you not answered my calls?" My mother answers harshly.

"I'm so sorry, mom. My phone was upstairs the whole time."

"Upstairs? What are you talking about?"

"Oh, yeah. I forgot to call you last night and tell you about my sleeping arrangements. Anyway, I met a boy yesterday, and-"

"You met a boy," my mom cuts me off.

"Yes, mom. A boy. A boy who happens to be the son of Mr. White, the owner. Anyway," I continue, "he brought me to his house after spending the day together. His mom offered me the guest bedroom."

"Well, it's good to hear you're safe. May I please speak to Mrs. White?" Mom asks.

"If I can find her, yes, but I'm not going to snoop around their house to find her."

"Of course not, dear. Remember your manners while you stay there, okay?"

"Yes, mom. I have been using my manners." I walk back downstairs looking for Mrs. White. "Mom, I don't think she's here right now, but when I find her I'll give her your number, okay?"

She sighs. "Okay, dear. Stay safe and be polite. Love you."

"Love you, too," I hang up the phone and walk over to the cookies. I plate the cookies and wrap them with Saran Wrap. I quickly scribble down my mother's number before I forget.

The sound of heels clicking against the wood floors catches my attention. I look up to find Mrs. White entering through the door from the lodge.

"Oh, hello, Blakley," she enters the kitchen. "You made cookies?"

"Harper and I did for the people in the lodge," I reply placing the plates on the table.

"What," shock evident in her voice. I turn to find her with tears in her eyes. "He let you help him?"

"Yes," my voice comes out as a question.

Mrs. White leans on the counter and covers her mouth with one hand. "When he was younger, he and his sister Maggie would bake cookies to hand out in the lodge." She pauses wiping her tears. "We lost Mags two years ago," tears stream down her face. I walk over to her and pull her into a hug. I know I don't know her, but she needs comfort.

"I'm so sorry, Mrs. Kyla." She wraps her arms around me while sobbing into my arms.

She pulls away from the hug and wipes her eyes. "No, it's okay, Blakley. Thank you."

I nod in response. "Harper," I whisper looking towards the door.

"What about Harper?" She asks concerned.