six: goodbye

six: goodbye

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀My eyes open and are greeted by the the sun shining in through the window. I look around at my surroundings almost forgetting where I was.

Sliding out of the bed, I waltz over to the window to find the snow had decreased in speed by a lot. A smile tugs at my lips at the thought of seeing my family. In high spirits, I take a shower before before gathering my bag and coat.

I skip down the stairs to find the whole White family in the living room. Mr. White is recumbent on the recliner while Mrs. White, Harper, and a boy, who I'm assuming is Harper's older brother, are sitting on the couch watching the news.

"Good morning," I say in a chipper mood while taking a seat on the arm of the couch next to Harper.

"Well, isn't someone just chipper today," Mrs. White smiles at me.

"Yep," I reply popping the 'p'. I place my bag and coat on the floor next to the couch.

"I'm glad. I bet you've been missing your family," Mr. White pipes in.

"Yes, sir. I didn't realize how much I would actually miss them." I look down at Harper who has a small smile on his lips. His eyes almost look sad.

"So, is anyone going to introduce me to this beautiful girl?" The boy sitting next to Harper asks breaking the comfortable silence. My cheeks heat up due to the 'beautiful' comment.

"I'm Blakley," I speak up surprised I'm not too embarrassed to talk. "I ended up stuck at the lodge due to the storm and Harper invited me to stay here."

"I see," the boy lightly bumps Harper's shoulder with his own. "I'm Jake, by the way."

"It's nice to meet you," I say politely.

"Oh, Blakley, there's some cereal out on the counter for breakfast." Mrs. White nods her head towards the kitchen.

"Thank you," I reply getting up and heading toward the kitchen. I pour myself some Frosted Flakes and take a seat at the breakfast table.

Harper joins me while I eat my breakfast. "So, this morning is our last time together, huh?" He asks.

"I guess," I stop eating my cereal. "You know, I'm really going to miss hanging out with you. The past two days were a lot fun," I smile sadly.

"Yeah, I agree." He sends me a sad smile as well. "But, hey, there's this invention called a phone and you can text and call on it." He jokes.

"No, kidding?" I play along.

"Yeah, and they give you a number that you share with your friends and they can text you. Cool, huh?" He continues jokingly.

"Yeah, maybe I should give you my number so we can stay in touch or something," I wink causing him to laugh. "But for real, I want to keep in touch." I take a bite of my cereal.

"I'd like that," he smiles at me.

Speaking of said invention, my almost dead phone vibrates in my pocket. I pull it out answering the call from my mother.

"Hello?"

"Hey, we're here!" My mother announces over the phone. I pull my phone away to look at the time which reads 8:45 in the morning.