Chapter 4: The First Day

As I started to lay down for bed, two girls came into the room, startled when they saw me. "Oh, you must be Willow. Professor McGonagall said you would be here today," one of them said.

"And you must be Vernice," I replied, thankful that she seemed really friendly.

She nodded. "That would be me. And this is Marianna Morgan."

"Hello," Marianna sang, jumping onto her bed and bouncing a few times. "Where are you from?"

Here we go. "I'm from America. Tennessee, actually. I'm a transfer student."

"Interesting," Marianna said. "Your accent is... unusual."

"Yeah, I've been told that."

"So, what are the boys like in America?" 

I started to answer her but Vernice interrupted before I could. "We have the same classes, so I'll show you around tomorrow."

"That's great," I admitted. "I'm a bit nervous."

"Don't be. We do share some classes with Slytherin house, but stay with me and they won't bother you. They know I help Professor McGonagall a lot, so they focus their attention on other people besides me."

"Like Harry Potter." It was out of my mouth before I realized it, and I knew she'd heard me.

"Harry Potter? Have you met him already?" she asked.

"Oh... um, yeah. I met him earlier today."

"Yes, the Slytherins don't care for Harry much, even the older students. Not surprising, with that lot, especially Draco Malfoy. He has it out for Harry."

"Yeah, I'm sure he does." 

"And now that Harry's our new Seeker, he can't stand it. I'm sure his father will have him on the Slytherin team before you can say Quidditch."

I laughed, knowing she was exactly right. "Oh, I'm sure he will, too."

"Well, I'm off to bed. We have classes early in the morning."

I sighed. "Don't remind me."

"Don't worry, Willow. It won't be bad."

"Good night, you two," Marianna said as she laid down.

"Good night," I replied.

As we settled down and started to doze off, thoughts of the day ahead crept into my mind. Would I have any classes with Harry, Ron, or Hermione, since they were all younger? Would I see Oliver or the twins? What about Draco? Would he somehow be able to sense that I was a muggle, void of any magic at all? Would Oliver sit with me at lunch or supper?

My thoughts bled over into my sleep, which drifted from pleasant dreams to terrible nightmares. I was just as tired when I woke up as I had been when I went to bed. My first day wasn't starting off so great. Thankfully, Vernice was a ball of sunshine, so she cheered me up just a bit as we walked out of our room. 

"Today we have History of Magic first, then Defense Against the Dark Arts. Tomorrow is Arithmancy and Divination. After that is Charms, then we eat, which is my favorite part of the day." I continued to follow her to the common room, having to readjust my robes, which were a bit too big, as she went over our classes. "After that is Muggle Studies, but tomorrow is Care of Magical Creatures, Transfiguration, which is my favorite class, and then Potions, which is my least favorite. Bet you can't guess why?"

"I'm sure the teacher doesn't have anything to do with it, does he?"

"Snape, Devin, and Patrice make for one terrible trio. They truly make that entire class completely dreadful."