Chapter 7: He Knows

Heading down to serve detention later that evening, the corridors were dark, only lit by torches lining the walls. It felt a lot creepier than I thought Hogwarts would feel, making me walk a bit faster. I had just stepped off the grand staircase, which was also a lot scarier than I'd imagined, when a voice scared the crap out of me, since I was already a bit on edge.

"Willow," Dumbledore said from behind me, apologizing when he realized he'd almost given me a heart attack. "I assumed you'd heard me."

"No," I admitted, "I was a bit preoccupied."

"That's understandable. I'd be worried if you weren't." He motioned for me to follow him. "You won't be serving detention tonight or any other night," he said as we began to walk around the staircase and down a corridor I hadn't seen, yet.

"Oh, thank you, Professor."

"It has nothing to do with my generosity," he explained, "and everything to do with your safety."

"Oh." I assumed it had something to do with the fact I was a muggle and couldn't do magic, but it wasn't. I wish that's all it had been about.

He didn't say anything else as we continued to walk, so I didn't, either. Unlike our first walk through Hogwarts, this one felt tense. Every step I took to keep up with him filled me with dread.

Thankfully, we entered an area that was familiar, but it still didn't calm me. "Is everything okay?"

"I'm sure it will be," he replied, which wasn't very reassuring.

"So, it's not okay, right now?"

"The present is always the most curious," he replied as he approached the stone staircase that led to his office. As we neared it, it automatically opened, letting us enter.

Entering his office, I was shocked to find Snape waiting for us, sitting in one of the chairs in front of his desk. "I still think she should serve detention," he suggested once he saw me. "How will she learn to follow the rules when she can break them at will and receive no punishment?"

I started to defend myself, but Dumbledore held up his hand, instantly shushing me. "We have more important matters at hand, Severus, which is why I've called you both here." He glanced at me before leaning back in his seat, tapping his pointer fingers together. "It is as we feared. He has returned."

I already knew this.

Snape didn't seem surprised as he leaned forward. "How can you be certain?"

"It's been rumored that he never truly died or went away, that a small part of him lived, hiding in the darkness until he regained his strength, once again. He will stop at nothing to capture the power he once had and become whole, once again. On that path to power, he's become aware of a possibility."

"A possibility?" Snape repeated.

"Yes, he's been made aware of a girl who holds the power of time in her hands. A muggle from America who is here from the future; a future he wants to know."

My hands immediately shot to my mouth, covering it like I might puke if I didn't.

"Are you saying the dark lord knows of her existence and that she's here, at Hogwarts?"

"Yes. You know the way of the word; it travels far and ever so fast."

"Yes," Snape replied, glaring at me, "we do know."

Why was he looking at me? I hadn't said anything, especially to anyone in cahoots with a dark lord.

Dumbledore leaned forward, resting his elbows on his desk. "We've got to keep her safe. She holds a great knowledge inside her and we can't risk him getting hold of it. Not only that, we can't risk the lengths he'll go to to get it."