6| Blame

6| Blame

Claire stares at the roof of the tent, her mind racing with different thoughts and memories. She can't get the image of Farrah's soulless eyes and the foam escaping her gaping mouth.

Even though Claire had seen a lot of deaths lately, this one seemed to hit her the hardest. Someone decided to take their own life, and Claire was partially to blame. If she hadn't warned everyone about Jordan's bite, then he would of made it at least to Farrah before he turned. And she would of been able to say goodbye.

Claire turns onto her side, placing her hands underneath her cheek. She watches her little sister sleep, breathing heavily which meant she was in deep sleep. She felt sorry for the little one, and all the other young children who are now forced to live in danger and not get to enjoy their childhood.

Claire exhales heavily and sits up. She rubs her eyes for a few moments before exiting the tent. Usually, Claire would be the last to wake up and everyone would already be gathered around the fire eating their breakfast. But Claire was one of the other women to be up. Farrah would usually be the one cleaning up but now it was just Layla and Tammy, even though Tammy was barely a teenager. Lila and Johanna were probably still asleep.

Claire helped them clean up around and get the food ready. Eventually, everyone else wakes up and gathers around Claire to get the food. Claire puts a generous amount on everyone's plate but when she finds Rodger standing in front of her, she gives him one piece of bacon and small spoonful of scrambled eggs.

Rodgers eyes pierce at Claire. "This is really immature, Claire."

"There's not enough."

"There's plenty." Rodger retorts. He looked like he was about to explode by the red tint in his skin but Claire wasn't scared of him anymore.

"They," Claire gestures to Layla and Tammy, "have been working hard every single morning while the rest of us sleep. They deserve the most food."

Rodger sends daggers at Claire before walking off. Layla and Tammy smile gratefully at her. Claire fills their plates up with the remainder of food and they go to join the others.

"Claire?" Claire turns her head to see Lila standing over her, eyes watery. Claire puts her food down in front of her on the ground and stands up. "Can I talk to you privately?" Her voice shakes.

Claire frowns but nods. "Of course." Claire guides her far away from the others, near the trees. They stand behind a tree trunk so no one knows where they are to question them.

Lila suddenly breaks down in tears, loud sobs escaping her lips. Claire is taken off guard, but quickly puts a supportive hand on her back.

"Lila, tell me what's wrong." Claire panics slightly, worrying that Lila has been bitten.

"I don't know what to do. I-I can't do it. I need your help." Claire can barely understand her.

"With what? What's wrong?"

"I'm pregnant, Claire."

Claire's lips part and she stares at Lila with wide eyes. Lila digs her face into her palms as she cries harder. Claire's stomach twists into a knot.

"Lila, congratulations! You're going to be a mother-"

"No, Claire! I'm not! I'm not bringing a baby into a life like this." She looks at Claire with a red tint in her blue eyes.

Claire frowns. She understands why Lila wouldn't want this baby, especially not now. It's dangerous.

"What...what did you want me to help you with?"