Part II

Part II
The Ten-Year War

    Helen did not need to orally reveal her plan for Julia to figure it out. The former Queen of Sparta seduced the naive young Paris to the point where he was willing to risk everything to be with her out of love. To Julia, the lovestruck prince seemed to be a hopeless romantic who believed this was Aphrodite's will and that she would protect him. The young maid could not imagine the Goddess of Love interfering with the war that will inevitably come.

    The Trojans cheered victoriously when Paris arrived with Helen as though it were a great victory for their city. Julia noticed that the walls that surrounded this city were even greater than the walls of Sparta. It was no wonder how this city remained so prosperous and untouched.

    King Priam himself had grown quite fond of the fair Helen. When the ambassador, Odysseus, was sent to plead for Helen's return to Sparta on account of her husband. The king refused declaring she was now Helen of Troy. This officially began the war.

    One night as Julia wondered about the halls of the Trojan castle, she discovered a certain Trojan was not so eager to fight a war to keep Helen. She could overhear Prince Hector speaking with King Priam in a room dedicated to the god, Apollo, on the matter.

    "Helen is the wife of King Menelaus," Hector was saying to his father. "She belongs to Sparta. It is not worth starting a war over after all the time we both spent on making peace with the Spartans."

    "The Spartans will still demand for my son's life for what he has done," Priam said, dolefully. "I cannot risk that happening. I would fight a thousand wars before I watch my son die."

    "If we return Helen now, then there should be no need for Paris's blood to be shed," Hector urged. "We can explain that my brother is just a fool for love that acted impulsively out of passion. That much is true. Besides, he has been in love many times. He will find someone else."

    The king sighed. "I have seen Paris in love since he has been returned home, but this time is different. I foresee that if Helen were sent back he would follow and surely be killed. I cannot risk that happening. I cannot lose him, not again."   

    Since her arrival to Troy, Julia had learned that as an infant Paris had been sent away and left to die because his sister, Cassandra predicted he would bring the downfall of this grand city. He was raised by a shepherd who found him. Years later, Prince Hector recognized the royal crest Paris wore on his neck and realized who he was. Paris was then returned home and reunited with his royal family.

    Hector then said, "You do realize, you put the entire city in danger all to protect your son? I love my brother dearly, but I will not sacrifice my people for his happiness."

    "The gods will protect this city," King Priam concluded.

    The prince huffed and grumbled, "The gods likely care not for our conquering of a single woman. They may just turn our back on us if they ever watched over us before."

    "You hold your tongue, boy!" Priam barked, the fury in his tone rising. "The gods have done nothing but protect our city for years. If they ever have any reason to turn on us it will be because of your arrogance to defy them! Leave me now!"

    At the sound of Hector's footsteps nearing, Julia took off down the hall to get out of his vision. She, however, was not agile enough.

    "Stop!" Hector called out after her.

    Slowly, Julia turned to face him and offered a bow. "My lord."

    "You are Helen's lady-in-waiting, are you not?" Hector asked.

    She nodded and replied, "My name is Julia. I have served Helen for the majority of my time here on earth."

    "I see." Hector glanced back towards the room he was just in and asked, "How much of my conversation with my father did you hear?"

    "Most of it," Julia admitted and took in a deep breath, "Forgive me, my prince, I did not mean to spy. I only fear the damage my mistress may have caused for your city."

    Julia wanted to tell him the truth about why Helen really left Sparta with Paris, but her devotion to his mistress kept her from doing so.

    "Do you wish for Helen to be sent back to Sparta?" Julia asked.

    Hector sighed and responded with, "Only if it guaranteed peace in Troy. I, however, fear that the Greeks have always wanted our land and were only waiting for a spark to fight." He looked her directly in the eye and asked, "Do you believe King Menelaus wanted war even before Helen's departure?"

    Julia looked down, recalling the dining before the Trojan princes arrived. She then replied, "It is not King Menelaus you have to fear but his brother."

    "King Agamemnon," Hector concluded for her. "It is no secret he has desired our lands for years."

    "One night when Agamemnon dined with us, he strongly hinted that he desired war, even when his brother wanted peace," Julia said. "I have heard the moment Helen left, King Agamemnon called to Helen's suitors reminding them of their oath and encouraged them to fight. It is a war he wishes for."

    "Then it is a war he shall have," Hector replied solemnly. He then placed his hand on Julia's shoulder and said, "Thank you for telling me this. I only pray that my father is right about the gods protecting our city."

    As Hector walked away, Julia the heard her mistress say, from the other end of the hall, "That was good, Julia. Your words on King Agamemnon guarantees that this war will occur."

    Julia sighed and asked, "Why do you want this war, Helen?"

    Helen walked over to her maiden and stroked her dark thick curls, replying, "In a time of war, people pray to the gods more than ever. Knowing that I brought them this loyalty, surely one of them will come for me and take me home to Olympus."

    And how many must die before that happens? Julia wondered silently.

    Helen seemed to pick up on her friend's concern and consoled, "Fear not, dear Julia. As soon as I am returned home, I will ask the gods to put an end to this war. It will not last too long."

***

    Ten years passed and the Trojan War with Sparta still continued. For the majority of the war, the Greeks had the advantage with their war hero, Achilles. However, in recent time, Achilles quit due to a dispute with Agamemnon. Word of Sparta said that the king had stolen Achilles's prize, the priestess Briseus, and out of fury the warrior left and refused to fight anymore battles. Many assumed it was a battle of pride between the two men as Agamemnon was likely jealous that more of the troops cried out Achilles's name rather than that of their king.

    Even with the Trojan advantage, Prince Hector still insisted that too many lives have been lost. Paris then reluctantly offered to fight Menelaus one on one as the dispute was really between the two of them. The Trojans prepared for the Greek's arrival.

    As Hector assisted his younger brother in assembling his armor, he said, "You know, you do not have to do this, Paris. We can find another way."

    Paris sighed and said, "I, too, have grown weary of this war, brother. If this is what it takes to put a stop to it then so be it. Is that not what you want?"

    "It is," Hector admitted, "but I only fear you do not fully grasp what you are about to do. Dying for the woman you love may sound poetic but you, my brother, have not been apart of this war. You know not the gruesome sight of death."

    "You fear I will back out and only make the war last longer," Paris concluded, placing his shaking hand on his brother's shoulder. "I would be lying to say I am not frightened to fight, but I promise, my brother, I will go through with it until the end. After all, it was you who found me and brought me home. I promise, I will not let you down."

    Paris then rode out on horse beside his brother to meet the Spartans just outside the Trojan walls. King Priam watched from the castle balcony, with Helen by his side, accompanied by Hector's wife and Julia.

    At first when Paris made his proposal, Agamemnon refused for his brother.

    "That is not enough after the damage you caused!" King Agamemnon bellowed. "You can keep your city, but I want Troy's army to come and fight for me when I command."

    "I would caution you against such arrogance, King Agamemnon," Hector said. "Without your great warrior, Achilles, Troy has the advantage. If would be wise of King Menelaus to accept my brother's offer."

    Hector observed a flash of fury flicker in the high king's eyes at the name of this warrior.

    "The answer is no," Agamemnon stated, flatly, turning his back to return to his men.

    Menelaus, however, stepped forward. "I accept the prince's challenge."

    Agamemnon took hold of his brother's shoulder and shook his head, saying, "Menelaus, we spoke of this. I sacrificed my own daughter in hopes of victory! We can gain more out of this war."

    "You fight for more," Menelaus replied. "I fight for my honor. The prince's breath insults me and brings me shame. If you truly care for me, brother, you will let me kill him now."

    Reluctantly, Agamemnon nodded, and Menelaus went on to fight Paris. The young Trojan prince put in all the strength he had but that was not enough against the years of experience King Menelaus had. In no time, the king slashed his sword across Paris's thigh. At the sight of his own blood, the prince's eyes widened in horror. He then crawled back to his brother for protection.

    "Paris," Hector said, as he knelt down and firmly took hold of his brother's inner shoulder. "I can have you sent back inside the castle walls, and rally the troops to fight them off if that is what you wish."

    "The war… will continue then?" Paris choked out, taking hold of his brother's arm.

    Hector sighed, dolefully, and nodded. "Yes, the war will go on, but this way, you can live. You instigated this challenge so the choice lies with you alone. I will do as you wish."

    Paris turned his bloody face to look at Menelaus, who continued to yell out, 'fight me!' His eyes then moved up to the balcony where the fair Helen sat.

    Hector sighed as he thought he knew his brother had made his choice. He raised his hand to beckon the army behind him. One soldier arrived with Paris's horse.

    Paris, however, gripped his brother's hand more firmly and said, "Promise me, brother…" He paused to cough and continued, "promise me, that no matter what happens, you… you will not interfere with the rest of this fight."

    To Hector's surprise, Paris forced himself up and stumbled over back to finish the battle with Menelaus. It was quite an ugly sight. After every fall, Paris continued to get back up only to be knocked down just moments later. By the tenth fall, nearly all of Paris's body was stained in blood. He could barely stand. Menelaus was nearing victory.

    "Hector!" King Priam bellowed down from the balcony. "Do something or your brother will be killed!"

    Hector looked up at his father and then took a step towards his brother to intervene. Paris, however, met his brother's eyes and shook his head, mouthing the words, 'you promised.' Hector's heart turned heavy as stone, as he watched Menelaus take the final blow, slaying the life out of his brother.

    "Remember the agreement, Prince Hector!" Agamemnon declared. "My brother is the victor so Helen must return to Sparta."

    Without words, Hector merely nodded and returned to the castle for Helen. The moment Hector was in his father's sight, the king slapped him across the face.

    "You let your own brother die!" Priam roared, tears glistening in his eyes. "You could have saved him!"

    Hector ignored his father's words and softly replied, "I have to return Helen to the Greeks now."

    Helen then ran up to the king and took his wrists. "No, please do not send me back! I am Helen of Troy now! If I am returned, Menelaus will surely kill me!"

    "She will not go back!" King Priam concluded, his voice still full of rage. "The Greeks take my beloved son away from me and then expect me to return Helen to them? It will never happen!"

    "Father, that was the deal," Hector spoke calmly, but his eyes, too, shined of tears. "Whoever wins gets Helen. Menelaus won justly."

    "No," Priam declared. "She is a Trojan, now, one of us! With Paris gone, I marry her to my youngest son, Deiphobus. Do you accept, Helen?"

    As Helen nodded, Hector declared, "Then this war will continue, and Paris's death will be in vain. I must warn you, Father, your pride and blind faith in the gods consumes you!" He paused and shot Helen a look. "If you choose this path, I will fight for you, but only because it is my duty as your son, not because I think you are right."

    "You are not my son," the king muttered darkly in a shaken voice. His tone then built more strength as he roared, "You let your own flesh and blood die today! You are not worthy to be my son or a Trojan king! Nothing you can do in the future of this war will change that! You could slay the great Achilles and I still will not call you my son!"

    For a moment, Hector wanted to strike his father, but then turned and walked away without words. His brother showed great courage this day, and the eldest Trojan prince planned to honor him no matter what his father said.

End of Part II