Introduction

Introduction

    The blazing atmosphere roasted my body as I trudged down the dirt road behind my mother. As we walked, I lifted my thick curls up so my neck could get some air.

    We walked through our home town of tall white-brick homes to my grandma's house. Our family has always been fairly wealthy. My grandma even told me that her ancestors used to work for royalty. Since the events of the infamous Trojan War, our family has strayed away from the royals for the sake survival.

    The story of the ten-year war has been passed down for generations but the style of the story varied depending on who told it. I do not think anyone now was quite certain on how exactly what happened. My grandmother has her own particularly unique account on what happened during the war. I have not yet heard her version but my mother has already informed me that it was utterly mad.

    "Do you think if I ask, Grandma will tell me the story of the Trojan War, Ma?" I ask aloud as we near her home.

    Ma just snorted. "Trust me, Julia, you would only be wasting your time. My ma is an old woman and is hardly aware of her surroundings. She doesn't know what she's talking about anymore." As we walked to her home, she leaned in closer to me and whispered, "She does not pray to the gods at all. Sometimes her stories defy them, while other times they do not even acknowledge the gods at all, which I imagine would come as an insult to them."

    I knew I should be more fearful of the gods, but I could not help but feel curious. The Trojan War has always fascinated me as, from what I knew, it was a war between the Greeks and the Trojans that lasted for ten years, all over one single woman, Helen. I could only imagine how beautiful she must have been. I have always wondered how she must have felt during the war. Was Helen's love for Paris so strong, she was willing to risk everything to be with him?

    Once Ma and I were escorted in, we were informed that my grandma was sleeping. While my ma had a word with the servants, I crept upstairs to Grandma's room. I barely made a sound as the door cracked open, yet my grandma's eyes still flickered open at the noise.

    She smiled at my presence and said, "Why hello there, Julia. You sure have grown since I saw you last."

    I did return the smile but did not utter any words. After all, I had seen her just a few days ago. Perhaps she was indeed losing her mind.

    "You are very beautiful, Julia," Grandma continued, attempting to sit up. "I am certain you will find yourself a wonderful husband soon."

    I went over to her bed to help her sit up. Her old batted eyes stared right into mine and her light silver hair ran wild like loose fabric.

    As I gently tugged her up, I pointed out, "Grandma, you once told me beauty is a curse that only drives men mad. Do you remember saying that?"

    She nodded. "Indeed, yet it also depends on how the woman chooses to wield her beauty."

    I paused to take in a breath and then asked, "How do you think Helen of Troy chose to wield her beauty? I'm sure she didn't mean to start a whole war. She just fell in love, right?"

    Grandma did not answer, but instead gazed vaguely past my eyes.

    "Grandma, will you please tell me the story of the Trojan War?" I insisted. "I am old enough now."

    She looked back into my eyes and sighed. "Perhaps you are. Very well. I will tell you the story that has been passed on in this family. This is the truest rendition that will ever fall upon your ears."

    I leaned in closer as she spoke.

    "My own grandmother, your great-great grandma was Helen's maidservant and dear friend," Grandma unfolded on. "Her name was also Julia and she first told me of her experience when I was about your age."

    "She was there?" I asked in awe. "So she must have watched Helen fall in love with Paris and leave with him. She observed the start of the whole war."

    Grandma snorted. Curiously, I tilted my head.

    "Helen never loved Paris," Grandma concluded, and added with another huff, "or Menelaus for that matter."

    I gasped. "But from what I've heard, that is what began the feud. Helen left with Paris because they fell in love. Did Paris abduct her against her will?"

    Grandma laughed and shook her head. "Oh no, Paris believed she was in love with him because Aphrodite promised him her love." She sighed and went on in a hushed tone, "I will tell you the whole story, but before I begin there is one thing you should know. The ten-year war between Sparta and Troy would have never occurred if Helen didn't wish for it…"