Chapter 2

When my eyes open, I'm in broad daylight with Kleo sprawled across my lap, slightly drooling on my arm. I shake her gently to wake her. Her eyes flutter open but close once the bright sun flashes across her pupils.

"Wake up, Kleo. It's time to get up now."

I gently nudge her shoulder and she climbs off my lap. She staggers across the porch to the door, but trips at the steps. I rush to her side and pick her up, realizing she had only laid down on the step because of her sleepiness. With her over my shoulder, I place her into the bed. Her face is so peaceful as she sleeps; so innocent.

"Rue, come over here and get washed before you put your dress on."

I let my mom pour cool water over my head. She sprinkles it over the rest of my body, drying me with a worn towel. After I'm dried, she slips a light purple dress over my head. I look in the cracked mirror next to the door and fix the bottom of my dress. I look so young. My mother had brushed my hair back and pulled them into pig tails that dangled above each of my shoulders.

I sigh and walk outside for some fresh air. A hand touches my shoulder and I look back to see my mother's face staring at mine.

"You look beautiful, darlin'." I smile at her and anxiously wait for my family to get ready. Once everyone is on the porch, we head towards the plaza. Kleo grabs my hand and squeezes tight. I look at the orchards and vineyards that are unattended today. Everything is so peaceful. The road to the plaza, which is usually filled with the hustle and bustle of merchants and farmers, is silent as families solemnly make their way to the Reaping. It seems like the road is never ending, but in time we finally make our way.

The plaza is completely filled. Kids are crammed into the center with the rest of their age groups. The heat is overwhelming as the hot sun beats down on the crowd. I sign in and weave my way through people towards the 12s group when I realize Kleo is still grasping tight to my hand.

"Kleo!" I exclaim, "Go back to mom and dad!" She shakes her head stubbornly.

" Its not your choice, Kleo. You're not allowed to be here. Now go." I can see our parents' heads not too far away under the awning of a shop on the side of the plaza. She shakes her head again. I sigh and reluctantly pick her up and carry her over as she squirms on my shoulder. My parents rush over once they see me and my father relieves me of her current burden.

"Thank you," I mutter as I make my path back to where my age group is. My anxiety was toned down for while but is all of the sudden bursting back. Mayce Dawnfer, the Capitol representative for District 11, has already taken stage and is patting on the mic to quiet the crowds.

"Happy 74th Annual Hunger Games!" she begins, instantly darkening the mood. She starts blabbering on about the generosity of the Capitol and a load of crap like that then hands the microphone to Mayor Kendall to tell the story of the rebellion and the games. I blank out for most of it. All sorts of thoughts start crowding my head and I immediately get a headache.

"...and may the odds be ever in your favor!" I snap back into reality once I realize she's about to pick.

" As always, ladies first!" Her hand dives into the glass sphere and swirls around each piece of paper. I close my mind as my stomach ties itself in a knot. I have to keep reassuring myself.

'It won't be me. It won't be me. It won't be me.' I keep saying over and over in my head.

As Mayce's voice rings through the plaza, the realization dawns on me that I may have spoke too soon.