Part 6

Juliet

I leaned back against my car and watched as Liam talked to the other Marines. I knew they were on my list of seven letter words I didn't handle very well and tried to avoid, but seeing them all there together knowing that any of them would have traded their lives to save my brother made me rethink it just for a second. They truly were some of the most brave and selfless men. I just wish I didn't know what their career choice asked of them at times. I'd never fall for a man that might have to leave me at any time and never come home. I also knew that sometimes even if their boots made it back to US soil, their head and soul never did.

The other Marine, Lucas I think if my brother's description did him any justice, looked over Liam's shoulder at me and then said something to him. I hoped they wouldn't talk him out of it. I knew it sounded like a terrible idea to let a Marine drive a young girl across the country and not expect a little trouble, but they didn't know me. I wasn't that girl. I didn't fall for Marines or buy into the fairytale of loving a man in uniform. I'd just lost the last man in uniform I'd ever love.

The heat of the day still pushed itself upon us, but at least the sun was beginning to move towards the horizon, offering small moments where it would be tucked behind a tree and a little relief could be felt. The two men embraced for a quick second and then Lucas grabbed something from the car and handed it to Liam. I watched as the other Marines put out their cigarettes and climbed back into the car. Liam waited until they drove down the street before turning back in my direction.

My heart practically stopped. He was something else. His broad shoulders and strong arms filled out the uniform perfectly. He walked with confidence in a way that made my insides mushy and my heart pound in my chest. I wiped a little sweat from my forehead, unsure if it was his impending presence or the heat that had caused it to form there. I fanned myself quickly, trying to calm the buzz that began to make my head hazy as I watched him approaching. Would I even be able to breathe again if he got any closer?

I shook it off when he finally moved in front of me. "We're all set." He said with a smile.

"Everything make it out ok?" I teased with a quick glance down to the crotch of his pants and then back up to his face. I could joke around with boys very easily. My house had been filled with them when I was growing up. I used to get to hang out with my brother until his friends started realizing that I did, in fact, have boobs.

He chuckled and nodded his head. "They got the message that this is going to be a hands-off trip to get the tags to your father's."

"Good. I'm sure there are a lot more hearts to break. I wouldn't want you to lose your ability to sew those wild oats. You know, 'this is my rifle, this my gun' and all that." In the Marines there is a saying that one is for shooting and one is for fun. Ken had told me in boot camp he actually had to cup his crotch while saying gun. Boys.

"Still lots of fun to be had," he answered without missing a beat. I lifted my keys up and handed them over. My brother hated being driven around by his little sister. I wasn't sure how Liam felt about me driving, but I'd had a long day and I really was struggling to concentrate through the lack of sleep, thick emotions, and maybe if I was honest, the rush of hormones that seemed to enter my blood stream whenever Liam was close.

"Where can we go to hang out for a bit before it's clear to head to your house?" I pushed off the car and shrugged my shoulder. He just scored about a million points not mentioning the room in town I knew he had. His words were just a little clue that he was going to be honorable and not just try to get into my pants. I let out a sigh of relief.

"There's a little diner in town where we could grab some fries and a shake." It was just far enough away from the cemetery that many of the mourners wouldn't be there even if they chose not to go back to my house. Liam nodded his head.

"Just tell me where to drive." He unlocked the car, but still walked around to my side to open the door for me. I know some girls got angry that a boy would do something for them that they could do for themselves, but my heart squeezed with the gesture. If a man respected you enough to do nice things for you, you should appreciate it. If a woman respected that man, she'd do nice things for him too. It wasn't always about being the stronger sex. Sometimes it was about making life a little easier for each other and showing that you cared enough to try.

"Thank you. Just turn right out of the lot and head to the end of town. When we've passed enough cows and longhorns, I'll let you know when you need to turn again." I tucked my dress underneath my butt as I sat down on the seat. His eyes watched my legs as I tucked them in, his attention warming my already hot blood.

He moved around to the drivers seat and climbed behind the wheel. We slowly drove down the road on the way out of the cemetery. As we passed the flags waving just outside the gate, the surge of grief that had been at bay seemed to be released, and I felt like my heart had broken all over again. I tried to hide the sadness that hit me like a rogue wave, but the first tear feel just as Liam chanced a glance in my direction. I worried he might freeze up, not knowing what to say to the crazy girl who had just been teasing him moments ago but was now slipping back into the dark grief hole.

I didn't need to worry. His hand reached for mine, and he entwined our fingers. It was as if he knew there was nothing that could make any of it better except to know that you weren't alone. As he turned onto the main highway, I watched in the side mirror the cemetery growing smaller and smaller behind us. I'd left something important there and I'd never get over the loss of it in my heart. Liam's finger brushed softly over the back of my hand, a soothing reminder that even in the deepest dark hole of grief, someone was there with you.  

***Please remember to vote and share!***