Part 8

Juliet

He paid for our dinner and we got back into the car. We'd spent a lot of time inside the diner, sharing stories about my brother and the deployment. He didn't share with me any of the detail about Ken's death, and I would never ask. I was traumatized just from having the news delivered that he'd been killed in action, I didn't think I could handle hearing it first hand from someone who had been there.

"Do you think your place is safe now?" he asked as he turned over the engine. It was dark now and I was sure people would be gone from my mom's house.

"Yes, they should all be gone. Family is staying at my aunt's house so I don't think anyone should be there except maybe my mom. Get back out on the road and make a turn at the end of the first farm on your right." I leaned back in the seat, my body feeling tired from today. I hadn't been sleeping well since I heard the news and it was finally catching up with me. I looked over to him as he drove us in the darkness. He was beginning to get a little shadow on his jaw and I wanted to reach out and run my fingers along it.

"You look tired," I said, noticing the darkness beneath his eyes for the first time. He nodded his head a few times, looking over to me. "Are we going to get started with the drive tonight or wait for the morning? I don't think I can spend the night in that house with all the dying flower arrangements." It was awful really. I don't understand why we still keep up the tradition of sending flowers. I believe it used to be so that you couldn't smell the body during the viewing, but since that wasn't something that happened in your house anymore, why were we still doing it? It was just a terrible reminded that death was ever present.

"Let's just grab your stuff. I need to figure out which way were going to go and what stops we might make. You can stay at the hotel with me tonight and we'll get a fresh start on the road in the morning. I'm pretty beat and don't know if it would be safe for me to drive like this all night." That plan sounded amazing.

"Sounds great," I said, leaning my head back against the headrest. I told him the next few directions and soon we pulled into my big circle driveway. "Come on in." I knew he must have met my mom at the airport when she met my brother's body. I was there too, but I was a mess in the bathroom. I'd thrown up from the weight of it all and missed the meet and greet.

The door swung open and I called to my mom. She came out from the kitchen and smiled when she saw Liam. "Hi. Thanks for coming today," she said. My mom never went around without make-up and big Texas hair, but tonight she just looked tired and too worn out to care about her usual flare.

"Thanks for having me ma'am. It was an honor." Liam removed his cover as he stepped into the house.

"Mom, we need to talk about something. Can we sit down in the kitchen?"

"Sure. Come on in. I was just making myself some tea." We followed her into the large kitchen and Liam pulled a chair out for me before sitting down. My mother took the seat across from us and moved her tea bag from the cup to the saucer. "Can I make either of you some tea?" she asked. I loved her, but it hurt to see her still trying to remain polite and proper even through all her grief. I'd heard her cry herself to sleep every night since we got the news.

"No thank you," Liam and I said in unison.

"Mom, before Ken went overseas he made me make a promise." Liam pulled the tags from his pocket and set them on the table in front of us. "He asked that I'd take these to dad if he didn't come back." Her eyes welled up with tears and she reached for a napkin in the center of the table to dab her eyes with.

"Of course he'd want that." She folded the napkin up and placed it next to her teacup.

"I'm taking them to California. Liam has offered to drive me there." I watched as she took in the information and then turned her attention to the man beside me.

"You'll keep her safe?" she asked.

"Yes, ma'am," he answered without hesitating.

"I'll phone the school and let them know you will be out for bereavement. Be careful and make sure you let me know where you're at."

"Thanks Mom." I pushed my chair back and made my way over to her, wrapping her in my arms. I kissed her cheek and held her tight. I heard Liam's chair push back too, but he stood still and let us have our moment. Things just felt different when you were under the watchful eye of a Marine. The world didn't feel as scary anymore and although my heart was hurting, I knew he'd help me make it right with Ken.

I excused myself and ran upstairs to pack a bag. I threw in all kinds of things just in case I'd need them. I hadn't been to California in seven years. I took one last look around my room and then shut off the light and made my way back downstairs. I'd shower and change that night at Liam's hotel. I was already feeling suffocated by the thick floral scent filling the house. The sooner we got out of there, the sooner I could put this painful day behind me.

Liam hugged my mom goodbye and promised one last time he'd keep me safe. My mom sent us away to California with her blessing, a tray full of cookies and two broken hearts. 

*****Let me know how you're liking it on twitter and instagram (at)SarahWhiteWrite or Facebook at SarahLWhite.