The Day After Tomorrow

Short story I wrote when I was in year 8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day after tomorrow!

BOOM...BOOM...BLAST! Day after day after day I hear that same sound. Hear the screams of men and mammal out there, and every day I think how lucky that, that wasn't me or Jazz. Jazz is my horse by the way. She takes me out there every day and brings me back every day as well. I wouldn't be alive with out her, we're a team me and her. She has saved my life so many times. 

I thought I had it lucky. I still had they same horse I had trained with, I was alive. Its more than most people had! Little did I know that the day after tomorrow would change my life forever.

I got a promotion to officer, which means I had more responsibility. I should have guessed it would be too much for Jazz at her age. I was stupid. We had to go more now, galloping across the field, 3 times a day! On the second day of me being an officer a horse went down in the middle of the field, not any horse, MY horse, my jazz! It was all my fault as well, I should of let her rest, should of realized that it was too much in her old age! But I didn't, until it was too late. 

They tried it get me to leave her, but I owed it to her to stay. There we where, her lying there and groaning, me crying and rocking her head, cowering in a crater. I fell asleep and woke to the sound of voices. I was in hospital, it took them awhile to explain that I was here because I had had a black out. It took them awhile because they where German. I was hearing but only half listening, when they had finished I asked them about jazz, "what about jazz?" I said. They wouldn't answer me at first. Then they explained to me that she was in a special hospital, and that she wouldn't be able to work properly again. They said it was no ones fault, but I knew it was mine. They said they would find a nice place for her to be. 

I could tell in the forced happiness that it wasn't going to be easy; no one wanted a badly injured horse that will spook at every little thing. I couldn't do that to her! I couldn't abandon her just because she couldn't work anymore. So that same day I made the decision that changed my life, I gave up being a solider and with my retirement money I settled into a nice cottage with a big field for Jazz and I restarted my life in Germany!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So this is another one of my short war time/horse stories. As you can tell I was a bit keen when writing short stories so you'll no doubt have more when I find them on my laptop files.

Jazz is again a pony I had around this time and she was a very old, loyal pony. Her and Max are still going strong today but just with different riders.

Again I ask you to keep in mind that I was in year 8 when I wrote these.

Please check out my other works!