Chapter 1

Shannon slid past the students who were rushing down the halls, eager to get to either the cafeteria or sit outside and hangout with their friends and talk amongst their peers. Shannon excused herself since she headed the opposite direction, muttering an "excuse me," and "sorry," every now and then whenever she pushed past a student. Her monosyllabic answers ceased once the hallways were nearly deserted, with the exception of a few couples kissing in a quiet corner. Shannon pursed her lips, looking around.

"Where's Kyle?" She murmured to herself. Turning around completely, she hurried towards a staircase and went up two steps at a time. Once she walked down the hall, she looked through a glass window/wall. She sighed and relaxed her shoulders, staring at the other side.

"Oh, Kyle..." She went to the glass door and pushed it open. She looked at Mr. Hagen, which in turn just looked back with a small nod towards Kyle. She strolled over behind Kyle, her heals clicking against the tile floor. She placed her hands gently on Kyle's shoulders, making him turn back and pulling his earbuds out of his ears.

"Oh! Oh... it's just you," Kyle said, his gloved hand against his chest, his voice filled with relief.

"What are doing?" She asked him, locking her arms around his neck. Kyle put his goggles down and took off his gloves and then ran his hand through his blonde fringe.

"Just, uh, finishing up dissecting this frog. Look," He opened his folder and held up a stack of paper stapled together.

"I got a 112% on my dissecting test and essay," Kyle smiled brightly. Shannon had widened eyes.

"112?" She repeated.

"He went beyond the grading system, past 100." Mr. Hagen spoke from his desk. He smiled at Kyle. "Very proud of him,"

"Kyle, that's amazing. Straight A's, 4.0 report card, off the grading system? C'mon, you must be exhausted, let's get lunch." Shannon hugged him. Kyle frowned a little at the suggestion.

"Can I finish this dissection, though?" He asked. Mr. Hagen chuckled and walked over to the teens.

"Go ahead, Mr. Hall. I think it'd be great to go to lunch now, stop over working yourself."

"Okay, okay I'm getting up." He laughed and slung his backpack over his shoulder. Lacing his hand with Shannon's, he waved goodbye to Mr. Hagen and walked down the hall to get to the cafeteria.

"Did you pack the lunch, sweetie?" Shannon asked Kyle as they walked leisurely inside the cafeteria. They sat at the table they usually sat together.

"Have I ever doubted you, babe?" He smiled and pulled out a few containers and a newspaper from his backpack.

"Great, I am starving," Shannon beamed. Kyle started looking through the paper, catching Shannon's attention.

"Watcha' lookin' there?" She asked. Kyle forced a small smile towards Shannon and looked back in the newspaper.

"I'm looking for a job," He said simply. Shannon sighed.

"Look, it's okay, I'll agree on getting a job and you'll be going to college because of your scholarship and-"

"Go off to college and leave you and Isabella? I don't think so," Kyle said with a firm voice.

"Kyle..." She trailed. Kyle looked at her and placed his newspaper down.

"I can't let you two alone. And your parents aren't willing to let you stay with them for a while once I do leave for college, let alone let you borrow some spare cash. I am the man of the family, and it's our fault that we've got Isabella in our hands. It's our responsibility to take care of her, and it's my obligation as a father to be there for her and my duty as your spouse to keep you both safe." Kyle said. Shannon sat back a little with a smile tugging her lips.

"You and your lectures," She rolled her eyes, lightening the mood. Kyle smiled nonetheless and continued his little search.

"Oh my God, Becky! Really?" A snobby voice said not too far from the couple. Kyle and Shannon turned heads and looked at the round table behind them. There sat a bunch of girls, delving in some gossip probably.

"Remember that hotty, Johnnie Guilbert?" One of the girls said.

"Yea! The sexy one with black hair, the one that graduated last year?"

"Mhm, the one who was dating Alex Dorame."

"You're talking about his wife you mean, Veronica." The girl corrected her.

"Right, right. I forgot they got married."

"Hey, I remember them. Don't you, Kyle?" Shannon whispered over to Kyle. Kyle chuckled a little, shaking his head.

"Heh, yea I remember him. He's never been in good terms with me, to be honest." Kyle muttered.

"As I recall, I remembered him saying that he wanted to become a detective. That idiot always felt that something's wrong with me, never really got to know me either. I guess he felt some 'dark aura' just by looking at me." Kyle laughed darkly. Johnnie honestly never liked Kyle, and he saw it. He never really liked him either. Shannon scoffed.

"That Alex Dorame girl," She started off, venom dripping from saying her name. She kept her voice low though, making sure the girls didn't hear her talking about it. She rested her hand on Kyle's arm.

"She spread that rumor back in 10th grade, remember?" She whispered to Kyle. Kyle frowned deepened.

"Yea. I bloody well remember it." Kyle muttered, pure hatred in his voice.

"Oh my God, Becky. So basically they got a huge house down in Wellington street. Like, Johnnie and her already got like, recently married and stuff."

"Omg, I heard Johnnie was gonna be like a detective and like record an album and stuff?"

"I'm sure they'll be expecting a baby in a few years, even though they're like, 19 right now."

"Hey, didn't Alex like, spread some rumor of some chick being pregnant like 2 years ago?"

Shannon had tears starting to collect at the corners of her eyes. Kyle saw her ears turn a bright red colour, and he knew that Shannon wasn't okay.

"I'm gonna excuse myself," Shannon whispered quickly and then got up to head to the girl's washroom before Kyle said anything.

Kyle sat still on the table. His blood began to boil. He was furious. He was mad. So much pain that fu.cking couple brought.

But his anger quickly got rid of itself. Instead, he felt anxiety rising up in his chest. He had shivers going up and down his spine. Goosebumps littered his body. The feeling was back. This wasn't good.

"Oh no..."