Chapter 6: The Long Awaited Return

There were two upon the road; both had hoods concealing their identities. One was shorter than the other and they walked side by side, slowly. It was as if they knew the path, but had forgotten the surroundings.

“Sherwood seems so different.” One of them remarked in a low tone.

“You have only been gone a year. So the trees have grown a little. This forest all looks the same to me.” The other snorted; a distinctly female voice with a foreign accent.

“Many things can happen in a year, my love.” The man sighed as he turned his hooded head upwards to stare at the tops of the trees. “What if we can not find them?”

“We will.” The woman said, patting the man's arm comfortingly.

“What if they do not have need of us anymore?” The man asked again.

“Now that is just ridiculous. You should be ashamed to have even thought such a thing.” The woman turned that comforting touch to a light punch of admonishment.

Righteously chastised the man rubbed at his shoulder. “Come, “ he remarked, “No doubt Robin will have moved the camp, and I hope to find them before nightfall.”

His companion nodded her agreement and the two traveled on down the road in silent urgency.

***

“Where did you get such lovely decorations?” A mocking voice called from the doorway, “And your wrist too? Has your loom been attacking you, recently?”

Lynna turned from her work to see Robin Hood in the doorway, garbed in that ridiculous Castle guard uniform. She smiled brightly. “I am all right. Fortunately, I was visited by a kind stranger in the night who gave me these bandages.”

“Were you really?” Robin asked incredulously as he entered her room.

Lynna nodded, thinking that he was merely playing along. She did not mind, she enjoyed the banter and craved conversation. “You risk much to continue coming to see me, Robin.” she said.

“Don't worry about me. My visits are obviously needed. Now,” he said taking her bandaged wrist gently in his hand, “Tell me how this really came about, Lynna.”

She related the full story to him, obviously he already knew the aftermath as he had sent her bandages, but that did not mean he knew the entire tale behind it. She told it with some embarrassment on her part. She must have sounded meeker than a mouse, and watching Robin's former joviality turn to frowns weighed heavy on her. She liked his boyish grin and attitude more than anything. “But,” she added hastily as she concluded her story, “I really am fine.”

He rubbed her wrist soothingly and Lynna felt her face grow hot all over as he administered to her hurts. “I once knew a healer of great skill. If she was still here I would have sent her to you.”

“And I would have been glad to meet her. What was her name?” Lynna asked.

“Djaq.” Robin replied, letting her wrist go as he spoke. “But she is in the Holy Land now; probably married now to one of my men.”

“Robin, you would have made a dreadful storyteller. You cut out all the best bits in your tellings.” She chuckled lightly.

“Ah well, I must content myself then with my talents as outlaw and let you stick to your stories.” Robin smiled.

Lynna looked away, but it was not because she could not bare to look at him the way it was with Gisborne; it was because of the flush in her face and the butterflies which had taken up residence in her stomach. She felt for the first time that she didn't quite know how to be. Robin made the world turn upside down for her, and she felt like wool caught up in a spinning wheel going around and around and around.