Chapter 11: Confrontation

“Help me get her to her feet.” Katherine grunted as she lifted the semi-conscious Lynna up from her position on the floor.

“Poor mite.” Garrett commented as he helped his wife carry Lynna over to the bed, “What happened to her?”

“A great deal, I'm afraid. Lynna...” Katherine shook the girl, “Lynna wake up.”

Lynna groaned, more in annoyance at being disturbed than any form of discomfort. She tried to turn away and close her eyes. Katherine gave her a light slap, “You can't go to sleep now, Lynna.”

She was muttering something under her breath. “What's that, dear?” Katherine asked softly.

“Go....away...” Lynna whispered.

“Lynna..”

“I said go away!” Lynna suddenly turned about violently and sat up. Eyes wild and lips cracked with thirst. She had thrown her little flask of water to the other side of the room and hadn't bothered with it for the entire day. A trickle of blood dripped from the side of her mouth.

Garrett restrained the wild girl with one hand upon her shoulder. “Lie back down.” he ordered gently, “You've had a rough time...”

I'm fine! Get off of me!” She wrenched her shoulder out of his grasp and tried to scramble off of the bed.

Katherine caught her and Lynna's arms went around her and she brought the woman into a wild embrace. A sob tore through her and she cried against her. Katherine did not look surprised at this at all. She patted the pathetic girl's back comfortingly, “That's right, that's exactly right Lynna. Let's get all those tears out.”

Katherine gave her husband a silent signal to leave her. Garrett walked over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Will you be all right?” he asked her quietly.

She tilted her head to kiss his hand. “Just give me a moment, Garrett.” she said with something of a smile.

“You were wrong.” Lynna said softly as Garrett left the room.

“About what?”

“About your brother.” Lynna hissed as she pulled away from her.

“I do not think so.” Katherine said gently.

Lynna pulled away from her, rubbing at her eyes with the back of her hands. “You do not know what he has done.”

“No, but I think he knows.” Katherine said, sitting down on the bed next to Lynna and folding her hands in her lap with a slight sigh.

“Of course he does!” Lynna snarled in a fashion that did not seem to be of her own, “Has he been gloating to you over his triumph? Has he been telling everyone that he stopped Robin Hood from coming to get the prisoner? That the pathetic, runt is still in the Castle, alive for now?!”

“I have seen him, but you could hardly call his state triumphant.” Katherine said, with the same patient tone.

“Perhaps I use the wrong word then; what did he tell you? Proud of his little trick is he?” Lynna snapped, still not assuaged.

“I do not know what 'little trick' you refer to, but no, he is far from proud. If it is at all possible he is in a far worse state than you yourself are in.” Katherine said, with a stricter tone than before.

“I don't believe it.” Lynna exhaled derisively.

“He would never admit this, but I know my brother better than anyone alive. He has been crying...I have never seen my brother cry, Lynna.” Katherine said and there was a saddened honesty in her voice which gave Lynna pause.