One: Ding

"Brooklyn, you never have time for us anymore. What's going on?" I looked over at my two most reliable friends whom I've known since the third grade.

"Nothing is going on. It's just, with my music taking such a big liking to everyone..I'm sorry. I'm just busy. Maybe another time." I said as I gathered my books from my locker and walked away.

I can see where she's coming from. We just returned from Thanksgiving break and I had ignored all of her requests to hang out the entire time. But to be fair, it totally wasn't fair. My career had been really picking up the past few months. More views on my YouTube channel. More local gigs every night.
I played at the local pub on Black Friday. It was so amazing. All the lights..the people dancing..

I was snapped out of my thought when Lindsey and Hunter caught back up to me.

"Okay so we were thinking.. And-" Lindsey began before I cut her off.

"How about you come to one of my shows? Will that make you believe me? How about this. I play at Bosses Diner on Wednesday. Show starts at 7. Be there, alright?" I gave the brunette a quick hug as I walked away towards my first class of the day. English.

Mr. James had been on a rant about some illiterate email he had received from an anonymous student.

I wasn't listening. Once again. "Mr. James, may I have the pass?" I interrupted his mid sentence about how he had just sat down at the dinner table with his family for Thanksgiving.

He turned to look at me and walked to his desk, grabbing the block with the green tape on it. The hall pass.

Before handing it to me, he looked at me and said, "Be back in 5 minutes."

I nodded my head and grabbed the pass from him, making my way out of the room.

Five minutes to find a good book? Impossible. I'll need at least 15. Finding a good book takes time. Something that is way more than five minutes.

Walking into the library, I looked around for Miss Hamilton. The librarian. Finding her in the far back corner, I greeted her with a smile. "Alright, I've got five minutes to find a book. Suggestions?"

Three minutes later, I walked out with Divergent by Veronica Roth. Yeah, I read the series like five times, but what does it matter if I read it once more? It gives me something to do in between performance time.

When I got back to the class, Mr. James was still going on about his mysterious email. It didn't seem as big of a deal as he was making it, but if it kept us from reading Old American Literature, so I don't think the class cared that Sally Gilmore continuously pushed the subject.

I put the pass back on his desk and walked to my seat. Shortly after, the bell rang and sent us into second hour. Pre-calculus. Something I'm awkwardly good at.

I took my seat in the front of the class just as Ms. Rose walked into the classroom. We started the hour with reviewing our homework from last night on Binomial Theorem.

The hour passed by really quickly. And as soon as I knew it, I was getting in my car to leave school campus. I wanted to visit the music store to grab some new strings for my acoustic guitar before I went home, so I went straight to the freeway instead of the normal back road I usually used.

As I was driving, I noticed a huge traffic jam, so I instantly looked at the time. It wouldn't be rush hour for a few hours, so there must have been an accident.

I turned on the car radio. And heard a song by one of my favorite bands playing. It was called Believing by Blazed in Fury. I smiled to myself before the traffic began to move faster. After the song was over, the radio's DJ announced BIF being on tour. The next concert was two weeks from now in Massachusetts. Boston, Massachusetts.

My favorite band is playing in my hometown two weeks from today.

I have got to go.

The radio announced the number to call for tickets. While at a stop, I grabbed my phone from my backpack and quickly jotted the number down.

I've got to go.

--

I was in traffic for a total of about 45 minutes. It turned out to be a major accident that was stopping traffic. A semi-truck ran into a pickup. I don't think anyone was hurt. Well, except the trucks.

I pulled into the lot of the music store and grabbed my wallet before unbuckling my seat belt and getting out.

As I opened the door to the store, the familiar little ding sounded out from above me. The familiar sound of the bell above the door. I smiled and made my way towards the back where they kept the guitar accessories. The straps, picks, pedals. Everything. There was one other guy in the aisle, aside me. Whom seemed to come here for the same thing.

He picked up a box of Elixir Polyweb Neon.

"Here, you're probably looking for something more like this.." I said to him, while grabbing a box of Ernie Ball Nickel Strings. "Those are neon strings."

He snatched the box from me while putting the Elixir ones back. When he turned to face me, I realized it was Johnathan Michael. From Blazed In Fury. He was the lead guitarist.

He wore an irritated expression before I quickly apologized. "I'm sorry..I didn't reali-"

"Save it," He quickly cut me off while grabbing a bag of green Dunlop guitar picks. "Didn't realize I was who I am? That since my name is big you've gotta act as if I'm not even human? That-"

I quickly cut him off. "No. I didn't realize- Yes. I didn't realize who you were. Johnathan Michael. Mr Blazed in Fury. You being on tour, playing in Concert Venues. Yes, you probably want those Neon strings after all." I said while my tone began to rise in anger.

I grabbed a box of Ernie Ball Nickel Strings for myself and pushed past him.

"Wait." He grabbed my arm and I quickly spun around, yanking my arm out of his reach.

"Don't touch me." I snapped in a more serious and quiet tone.

"I'm sorry?" He said in a higher pitched tone signifying his lack of concern, while raising his eyebrows and walking away.

I stood there for a few minutes, questioning that moment.

Did Mr. bad ass Johnathan Michael seriously just apologize? And was it seriously about his disrespectful words?

I shook my head and grabbed a pack of Dunlop purple picks before walking towards the checkout register. As I neared, I noticed him walking out. The familiar ding. When a person comes and goes.

Setting the strings and picks on the counter, I pulled out a 20 dollar bill and paid the lady.

Her name was Ms. Boyce. She has by far been my biggest supporter yet. She was actually an elementary school Music Teacher before she retired and took a shift here at Benny's Music Store.

"I heard you're playing at the Diner in two days, Miss Brooklyn. Is that correct?" She asked me with a smile.

The ding rang out again.

"Yes indeed, Ms. Boyce. Show starts at 7. I've got a few original songs I'm working out some chords too. I hope to see you there!" I smiled.

"And you'll be at Bosses Diner, right?" She asked as she pulled out a slip of paper and a pen, writing down the day and time.

"Yes, ma'am. I've gotta get going now, I have a guitar to string. I'll see you Wednesday!" I called to her before turning around and seeing the reason behind the recent ding.

He came back to the store.

I made my way past him and walked out of the store.

Ding.