"Nobody told me that you'd be here"

Present Day: December 26th, 2015

"Grey, we're gonna be late." Chris cursed, sitting on the bed slipping on his black patent leather shoes that he loves so dearly.

"Yes, Chris, I'm hurrying." I continued to perfect my winged eyeliner as he stood behind me, straightening his collar before settling with him hands on my shoulders.

"I'm sorry, I'm just nervous to meet your friends."

"I understand." I assured, setting my brush down and smiling at his reflection in the mirror. He smiled back, bringing his lips to the top of my head and walked out.

I looked at myself, trying to make sure I looked as perfect as I possibly could. I decided that I would go in what I would usually wear, office casual, liquid leather jeans, a plunging black v- neck, layered necklaces, black leather jacket, and stilettos.

I usually take the opportunity to dress down heels as much as possible.

I combed my fingers through my hair before pulling it tightly back and tying it off. I straightened my top and stood up, grabbing my bag and going downstairs to meet with Chris in the kitchen who was sitting on his phone at the bar.

"I'm ready." I promised, grabbing my keys from my purse and beginning towards the garage. He quickly followed, shutting the door behind me and getting in the passenger seat.

The drive was nostalgic, Claire and Ian Thomas were the best party throwers in high school, so it was expected that this would be no different.

I smiled as I reminisced about the numerous nights I would drive here with friends and get completely drunk and dance till I couldn't anymore and now I'm going to drink wine and socialize, while staying as close to sober as possible.

Since then, Claire and Ian's parents downsized, and they've completely renovated the house together. Claire lives there now with her family of four, and is opening the doors to 40 people from our high school class to reconnect- or something like that.

"Are you nervous?" Chris asked, tapping his hand on the middle console to the music. I turned to him for a moment, quickly noticing him watching me for an answer before smiling and focusing back on the road.

"No, of course not." I assured with a shrug. I was rather excited to see everyone, at least the change in everyone. "Are you, babe?" I grabbed his hand in hopes to comfort him.

"Yeah, I mean- a little."

"Why?" I squeezed it in reassurance. "They're going to be delighted to meet you, anyways you're not going to be the only new face." I promised, most of us moved on from our high school relationships in college, beyond the obvious high school sweethearts.

"I'm sure." He sounded less than thrilled.

"We can go see a movie instead." I reminded, not wanting to drag him if he wasn't going to have any fun.

"No, I want you to have your night- after all how many work functions have I dragged you to even when you knew you were going to have an awful time?" He tried to make peace with the idea of it by bringing up times in the past that I wished he would've so easily offered up a movie.

"I know you'll have a good time tonight." I brought the back his hand to my lips leaving a small trace of Chapstick behind. "Grab my liquid lipstick from my purse for me, please." I pointed to my bag in the back seat and he effortlessly grabbed it without any struggle and pulled out my go to shade.

I put the car in park a few house down seeing as we were about 45 minutes fashionably late.

"Hold on." I pressured, although I knew he wouldn't listen as he got out and walked around the car to open my door as I finished applying my lipstick.