Spending Time With Liam

"Are you sure you're fine?" I ask Josh for the hundredth time. He laughs, and bends down to pick up his other shoe.
"Yes, I am! Stop asking me that same question."
"Do you need help?"
"No, I'll manage. I'm pretty sure I know how to tie my own laces."
"It's not that. You're hurt, bending could increase the pain or something."
"I don't think my head is connected with my back." I laugh at my own foolishness. After Josh's persuading, the doctor allowed him to leave the hospital today. He was supposed to get discharged day after tomorrow. He has been so worried about Darcy. We all just want to get her back.
"I'm ready. Shall we leave?" He asks me, offering me his arm. I smile at his gentlemanly gesture and take it.
"Let me call Zahra. She said she'd bring the car out front." Josh nods, and I leave his arm. I exit the room. I find her name in my contacts, and call her. Waiting for her to pick up the phone, I glance around the corridor. There aren't a lot of people. Suddenly, a familiar face catches my attention. I walk over to him, knowing he'll have answers to my questions.
"Liam!" I yell, running towards him. He turns around and then murmurs something. Liam turns back around and starts to walk in the opposite direction.
"Don't act like you can't hear me!" Liam sighs and turns around.
"Hi, Mus." He says, giving me a sheepish smile.
"Where's Darcy?"
"Who?" Liam is so horrible at acting.
"You know exactly who I'm talking about. Spill!"
"Fine, fine. Darcy is at our home, spending time with us." He turns around and starts walking. I grip his forearm, and pull him back. "You've gotten stronger." I roll my eyes, and let his arm go.
"Where is she?" I ask him through gritted teeth. He's testing my patience. "I want you to take me to her. I need to take her home."
"She is at home. Harry's house is her house." I scoff.
"Where was he for all these years? Where was he when she needed her father? She missed him so much, but he didn't care. Bastard."
"It isn't like that."
"Cut the crap! Take me to Harry's house." Liam sighs, and nods his head.
"Let me buy this medicine first." He raises a prescription sheet in front of me.
"For who? What's that for?" I follow him as he walks toward the pharmacy.
"Harry burnt his hand. It's for him."
"Is he at home? How bad is it?" Liam turns around and smirks at my curiosity, and worry. I don't know why I'm behaving in this manner. I shouldn't be this worried about Harry.
"He's fine. It's not that bad." He shrugs his shoulders. I sigh in relief.
"Liam, I have to take Josh to the car. Can you wait for me near the parking lot?"
"Yeah, sure, but later you have to tell me who the hell Josh is."
"Okay." I dial Zahra's number again and this time she answers the call. She tells me she's brought the car and I should bring Josh quickly. I don't tell her about my plan to go to Harry's house with Liam. I have a feeling she wouldn't want me to go.
"Come on, let's go." I say, entering Josh's room.
"Okay. Can you please help me with this?" Josh picks up a bag, and I walk over and take the other one. "Thanks."
"No problem." We walk through the corridor in silence. Finally, Josh decides to break it.
"What are we going to do about Harry?" I'm caught off guard with his question. I have made up my mind to tell him to back off, and leave us alone, but it doesn't seem realistic enough to say out loud. We both know that will never happen.
"I don't know. I have a plan, but I don't know if it'll work." I open the door for Josh, and he steps out of the hospital, smiling.
"Thanks. We have to do something. I'm not letting Darcy hang around him. He's dangerous, and a bad influence."
"It's not your choice!" I yell. I don't know why I snapped. I don't like the way Josh is talking about Harry. It's highly rude and offensive.
"I'm sorry," he murmurs.
"No, I'm sorry." Zahra's car is parked near the entrance of the hospital. When we reach it, I gesture for her to open the trunk. She obliges, and I place the bag inside the trunk. Josh comes up behind me and places his bag as well. I shut it and Josh opens the back door for me to enter the car.
"I'm not coming. I have some errands to run."
"I can come with you." I shake my head at his offer.
"Thanks for offering, but I'm fine." Josh looks like he wants to argue, but he nods his head and sits down in the car. I shut the door, and wave to them as Zahra pulls out of the driveway. Now to meet Liam, and get my daughter back.
                                                 *******
"Finally!" Liam sighs as soon as he sees me. "Come on. We have to rush." I jog over to the car, and take a seat. Liam starts the engine and speeds off.
"I didn't take that long."
"Yes, you did. I got five calls from Niall, asking where the hell I was."
"You said Harry isn't hurt that badly. Why are they so impatient?"
"Well, I was wrong! It's becoming worse."
"I hope he's okay," I murmur. Liam chuckles, and I look over at him, scowling. "What?"
"Nothing." He says this, but he seems to be having a problem controlling his laughter.
"Seriously, what's wrong?"
"You act like you're mad at him, and you might think you are. But the minute you hear he's hurt, you're all worked up." I'm not worked up!
"I'm not!" I defend myself.
"Sure." Liam bites his lip to suppress his laughter. Asshole! "So, how's life?" I laugh a frustrated laugh at his question.
"Nothing much. Life's fine." I shrug my shoulders.
"Are you really fine?" I look over at him, and smile.
"Yeah, I am."
"Why do I feel as if you're lying to me?" The traffic light turns green, and Liam faces the road again.
"I'm not. I'm not at the best point in my life, but I'm fine. I have Darcy, amazing friends, and a good job."
"A job that doesn't pay you at all." How does he know that?
"How do you know that?"
"Nothing. Forget that I said that."
"Tell me!" I pressurize him. "How do you know about my earnings?"
"If I answer your question, will you answer mine?" I nod my head. "I decided to find out about you. I did a little research on your lifestyle. I was curious." Why would Liam do that?
"Why would you do that?" I think he's lying. "You're lying."
"Don't, please." Wow, Liam is a terrible liar.
"Tell me the truth." Liam sighs, and clenches his fists around the steering wheel.
"Harry asked for information on you. I read the file that Louis got." Why is Harry doing this? He left me. Why is he showing interest in me all of a sudden? I will never understand him.
"You promised to answer my question." Liam says after a while.
"What's your question?"
"How are you fulfilling your needs? You're not earning anything. How are you buying clothes, and meeting your other necessities? Who is Josh?"
"You said one question."
"Please just answer them."
"I babysit. There's a babysitting center near Zahra's house. I go there in the evenings, thrice in a week. It fulfills Darcy's needs."
"And yours?" Why is he so inquisitive?
"Mine too," I murmur. "As for your second question, Josh is my friend."
"Your friend?" I roll my eyes.
"Yes, my friend. What is up with Harry and you?"
"Oh, right." Liam smiles, sheepishly. "I heard about the fight."
"Of course you did."
"We're here." Liam says, pulling into a driveway. I take a long, deep breath to calm my nerves. Here goes nothing.