Three

Dr. Johnson-MM

JOSHUA POV

I didn't quite process that Dr. Johnson kissed me until I woke up the next morning. I was so excited about getting a tour of Princeton, and the interview, that I never got to question his actions. I was hung over too, even though I don't drink. Well I was what I imagined being hungover would be. Last night was kind of a blur. I got out of the bed and went into the bathroom to pee. After that, I washed my face and took a shower. When I was done with my daily hygiene, I went back into my bedroom and got ready for school. I was still ecstatic about going to Princeton within the next four days, I debated on whether I should tell the guys or not. They tend to be judgmental and ruin a lot of exciting things.

I went downstairs and saw my mom making coffee, and my dad was walking out of the door in a dress shirt and a tie. "Where is he going? I thought he lost his job." I say, sitting at the stool a few feet away from the bar of the kitchen. David was right. This house is too big for only three people, my folks were in over their heads.

"He has an interview. Look, mi hijo, I know last night you were working on homework with Dr. Jackson or whatever his name is. But it wouldn't hurt to call someone. I was really worried about you!" She says, pouring her coffee into a mug.

"I know, mama. I'm sorry about that." I say. "But now that we're on the subject, I have an Alumni interview set up for this weekend." I tell her.

"For Berkeley?" She asks.

"Princeton."

"Umm, that's in New Jersey right? Joshua that's an ivy league school... Costs twice as much as Berkley! How are you gonna afford this?" She asks, with that worried mother face.

"Dr. Johnson said, he could help me get a scholarship if my grades were good enough. And he also helped me with my college essay. I'll even sign up for financial aid." I tell her. I walk to the refrigerator and grab a carton of orange juice and a glass from the cabinet.

"I guess. But how are you gonna get to there? Will there be any adults? I don't know son." She asks me.

"Dr. Johnson is gonna take me. He set up a tour of campus and everything." I explain, pouring the juice into the glass.

"Okay sweetheart. I'm proud of you. And I promise I'm working on filling the account back up for you." She walks across the kitchen and hugs me. I was about a foot and a half taller than her, so her face was in my chest. "My baby's all grown up now." She says, her eyes glisten with tears and I see one fall. I hug her tighter and I kiss her forehead.

"I love you mama." I tell her.

"I love you more." She says.

****************

Theo, David and I sit at our usual lunch spot and we were having casual conversation when I realized Emory wasn't there.

"Where's Em?" I ask, looking around.

"I don't know. I haven't heard from him all day." David says.

"He wasn't in Mrs. Norman's class either." Theo chimes.

"That's weird." I sip on my sprite and look around some more, when I spot him sitting with Angela Williams at a booth in the outside lunch wing. "There he is! Oh shit he's talking to Angela."

I point them out and the two others look in the same direction.

"Okay Eminem!" David says, clapping.

"Finally getting some cooch." Theo laughed.

We all began laughing about the situation when I felt two light taps on my shoulder. I turned around to see Zion Parks standing over me with a tray in his hand.