Chapter 39

A/N: I fixed the last chapter because it turns out Uriah was second, Lynn was first, and Marlene was fourth.

"Where the hell is my little brother?" Zeke grumbles after we've looked pretty much everywhere for him and Lynn.

"I want to know the same about my little sister." Shauna agrees.

Lauren had gone back to her apartment an hour ago. "Let's check the training room."

They smack their foreheads and we go there. Shauna and Zeke walk in first, and I get in just in time to see Uriah fire a plastic pellet from the gun in his hand at the center of the target. We pretend that we weren't looking for them. 

"I thought I heard something in here," I say. My eyes widen when I see Tris with them.

"Turns out it's my idiot brother," says Zeke, sounding irritated. "You're not supposed to be in here after hours. Careful, or Four will tell Eric, and then you'll be as good as scalped." Uriah wrinkles his nose, and I cover my mouth with my hand to stop myself from laughing.

Marlene takes small bites from her muffin as she skips over to go out the door. I step aside so that everyone can leave. Lynn stops in front of Tris, who is the last one to leave. "You wouldn't tell Eric," It's a question, and yet not. She eyes me suspiciously.

"No, I wouldn't." I say. Tris passes me on the way out, and without even really giving it any thought I rest my hand on her upper back between her shoulder blades to usher her out. She shivers a little, but it could be because it's chilly out here. I'm glad I'm wearing a jacket.

Zeke and Uriah shove each other back and forth up ahead, and Marlene and Shauna spilt the muffin. Lynn is just being Lynn and marching ahead of everyone as if she's the best one here.  Tris starts to follow them, but I want to say something to her.

"Wait a second," I say. I suck in a breath when she turns towards me, confusion lighting up her eyes, and give her a small smile. "You belong here, you know that? You belong with us. It'll be over soon, so just hold on, okay?"

Suddenly embarrased by what I said, I scratch behind my ear and look away. She stares at me for a minute, and for once I just wish she'd look away. It would make this a whole lot easier. But of course the embarrassment is twisting up my stomach and I don't even know what she thinks about what I just said.

Her reaction surprises me. She doesn't say anything, just reaches out and holds my hand, sliding her fingers between mine.

For a minute or so we just stand there in the middle of the hall, staring at each other. Then she pulls her hand away and runs after the others. I slowly start after them. I'm not sure what she meant by that. Is she as distracted by me as I am by her? Or is it all in my head?

I hope it isn't, but it probably is.