Chapter 5

The week dragged on, its Wednesday, and even though the last time I talked to Pete was Sunday, I thought of him constantly all the same. He never left my mind and he distracted me from my patients, my daily routine, and my friends. I'm having my doubts about giving him a second chance, and I regret letting him have this much power over me. It's inhumane to take one's independence away. A cruel and unusual joke on the unsuspecting who can't do anything but be victims to their captor's will. But I'm just as bad. I was weak enough to let Pete have this power over me, and now he's my captor and I'm a prisoner of war.

No matter what my internal conflict is, I still go on as if everything is fine.

I sit at my desk staring down at the sheet of patient's notes I took last, pretending to read them over until I hear my phone ring and my heart races when I see the caller. It's Pete.

"Hello." I answered, keeping my cool.

"Hey! When do you have lunch?" He asked.

"Well what time is it now?"

"About 12:15." He answered.

"In about 15 minutes." I tell him.

"Don't make plans. Don't leave. Don't eat. I'll be there!" He said excitedly.

"Haha. Alright."

"Oh, and text me where you work. Like the specifics."

"Alright. See you later." I ended, tapping the end button. I texted him the address of the hospital, my room number, and the quickest way to my office.

As if on cue, 15 minutes later, Allie walked in.

"Mr. Stump, there is a man named Pete out here wanting to see you. He doesn't have an appointment, but he has food." She said with a mixture of annoyance and confusion.

"Let him in please." I offered a small smile to make the situation a little better. Before she said anything, I heard Pete from the other side.

"Told you." He said, as he walked around Allie and into my office space. She furiously turned around and slammed the door behind her.

"Pete, please refrain from pissing off my assistant. I need her." I told Pete as he sat in the chair across from my desk. "I smell... Chinese?"

"Yup." He put the Panda Express bags on my desk.

"Chinese is my favorite!!"

"I know. It always has been." He said with a soft smile. "You didn't think I would forget now would you?"

"Honestly, I never thought you cared enough to remember in the first place." I admitted.

"I remember everything about you." I he said.

I didn't really know what to say back. I knew, I still know ever detail about him, and watching him now I see he hasn't changed a bit. Ever small habit, every mannorism. His favorite color, his favorite song. Not a single detail has been lost to me. This is the same Pete I've always known.

"So how's work today?" Pete asked as he handed the box of food.

"Slow. Only a few patients so far. Nothing exciting." I said as I stabbed my General Taos chicken