All I Want For Christmas

Fresh snow. 

Glowing lights. 

Sparkling trees. 

The smell of peppermint and fresh wrapping paper in the air. 

The sound of ringing bells of the Salvation Army on every street corner and some fat guy with the residue of chocolate chip cookies still on his face asking boys and girls what they wanted for Christmas that year. 

The red stockings that adorn the mantel of the fireplace with their names written in cursive upon them,eagerly awaiting the presents that would soon fill them. 

The flannel pajamas, the fuzzy socks, the scarves, the mittens, the toboggans, the ear muffs and the skates. The excitement of waking up in the morning to find the gifts under the tree, watching as the smile lights up the faces of the people she loves. 

The mistletoe dangling ever so mischievously from the doorway, awaiting it's next victim that could be found under it. 

Christmas is and has always been Calliope Torres' favorite holiday, and even now at thirty four years old, she still gets excited when the sound of Christmas Carols fill the local town.

The Torres-Robbins household is decorated from one side to the other in a string of Christmas decorations and lights. The stockings of Arizona, Mady and Callie are hung by the chimney with care with not so fateful hopes that Saint Nicholas will soon be there, she jokes quietly to herself. The entire exterior of their two story home is decorated with bright Christmas lights, the Nativity scene is strewn out in their front lawn along with Santa Clause, Frosty the Snowman and other assortment of friends and winter like creatures that includes reindeer and elves. The smell of hot chocolate now radiates from the kitchen every day of the week, mugs full of white marshmallows and cinnamon. The loud count down of her two year old daughter continues to bring a smile to her face day after day after day.

Mother nature had been more than friendly with the town of Seattle, Washington over the past few days. Dumping at least four inches of snow outside their front door. Not only had it created excitement and Christmas spirit within the townsfolk, but it also created better business for both of the doctors. During winter, people are twice as likely to come into the hospital because of a broken bone or some other type of freak accident that occurred while hanging up Christmas lights and decorations. Also during winter, kids are twice as likely to come into the Peds wing for sickness or injuries that could have been prevented if their parents had simply been watching them.

Standing in the foyer of their beautiful home now, Callie glances out from their door at the four inches of snow that awaits her in the front lawn, practically covering up poor baby Jesus in his manager. The sound of little footsteps follow behind her and she feels her heart warm inside of her chest. She found the true meaning of Christmas two years ago when she held their daughter in her arms, when she looked down into her sparkling innocent eyes and found all the answers that she had been looking for. She found the true meaning of Christmas two years ago when she spent it with her daughter and her loving wife. And she knows that she will never forget that warm fuzzy feeling in her chest, because it's there every single time that those blue eyes find hers.

"Mommy," Mady's soft voice calls out to her, tugging gently on her leg. Fighting the smirk upon her face, Callie looks down at the little girl who stares up at her, her blue eyes glistening with love and admiration for her mother. Blond curls are bouncing untamed down her shoulders, very much like her Mama and as the days grow on, Callie is finding it exceptionally hard to stand her ground with the mini Arizona.

"Yes, Mady?" Callie asks, trying ever so difficultly to keep the stern, serious look held upon her face. The toddler doesn't say anything for a moment, instead she shifts to the side, glancing out the window to see the large amount of snow that was dropped on her doorstep last night. Instantly, Calliope watches as the excitement lights up her face, her blue eyes coming to life as the smile spreads on her face.