Maybe Someday (part 4)

Frightened, they turned quickly to direction of the voice. They both immediately knew who it was. Stevie. She started to walk toward them with a furious look.

"Where have you two been? I've been texting you guys for an hour! Why didn't you answer?"

"I guess we got distracted." Link said deflated, wiping away his eyes, trying to hide his recent tears. "I wasn't feeling to good this morning."

"Well, we've got to film Good Mythical Morning so please try to act like you are feeling okay, okay!?"

"Alright." Link answered politely.
Rhett loved the way Link said 'alright' instead of 'okay'. It gave him a sense of sophistication.

During GMM, Link had been it his all but you could tell that something was up.

When they had finished and were ready to go home, Rhett stopped Link before he left the office.

"Hey Link, can I talk to you in private?"

"Uh... sure." Link replied hesitantly. "What's up?" He continued, trying not to sound sad from what had happened earlier that day.

"I was just wanted to day that I'm sorry."

"What for? I had no right."

"No, I told to you kiss me."

"And I did, now, will you leave me alone?" This was not a request; This was a demand.

"No, Link.  I need to tell you something." Link was all ears now.

"I'm listening." Link said, almost annoyed.

"I-I love you."

"BULL!"

"Link! I didn't know that I did until you showed me. Please let me be with you!"

"You have a wife! You have kids! I know you love them very much! I'm not going to let you throw that all away! I have a family of my own that I love! I won't let all the people I love disappear just because I fell in love with my best friend! You told me I needed to be strong and fight through this! I am going to fight this battle, with or without you!"

Rhett was speechless. His jaw hung open. His eyes began to well up. Link already had tears flowing. He continued softer, "Maybe someday, Rhett, but not today."

Link walked out of the room, wiping away tears, hoping nobody would see him. He got in his car and drove off. Rhett watched through the window. He sat down and rested his head in his hands. He knew that this was just going to get tougher and tougher the more he and Link drifted apart. They had stayed best friends but it was never the same until...