Chapter 13

When I was little, I used to often watch the stars. I used to think I was a giant whilst they were so tiny, I didn't realize they were simply far. Like danger, stars seem little when they're far. I think that's why people admire beautiful things from a distance, most of the things lose their charm when they get too close.

Take a pretty girl or a handsome guy, you want to flirt with them but you're scared, so you may happen to look at them when you see them around but never actually speak to them.

Or an ant. Ants aren't scary, they aren't ugly, but if you look at them with a magnifier, they will look enormous. Resulting in you feeling tiny and them looking like some monstrous creature intentioned to eat you alive.

Right now, though, stars didn't captivate me. They didn't have that magnetic fascination that used to draw me in, in the first place.

It was as though they were nothing more than celestial bodies now. That was it, I didn't know if I would ever be able to see things like I used to, by now the only thing I saw was the cold, hard truth, the facts.

"Lynn, are you in here?" Patty asked, laughing a little, as he tapped on my shoulder. I broke out of my gaze and turned to him.

"Uh, yeah. What's up?"

"Gurl, you're at a bonfire, loosen up!" He replied with a wide smile.

"Right, sorry, I zoned out." I forced out a chuckle.

"Yeah, I figured." He shook his head and laughed, then turned back to the others. The idea of a bonfire wasn't bad. It was as if the guys were trying to make me feel more comfortable day by day: Yesterday they brought me to the beach, and today they decided to go camping in the countryside. It was nice of them.

This area was property of Cassadee's family, so we started a bonfire too. It was quite chilly outside, but that didn't necessarily bother me. However, the fire kept us all warm enough.

Everyone was currently listening to Cassadee's horror story which was anything but frightening. It was about some kid buying ice cream from Satan without knowing, it was almost funny.

"...So the devil said: 'Now your soul will rest in this ice cream and whoever decides to eat it, will be haunted'. The end!" Cassadee finished with a smile.

"That was the worst story I've ever heard." Pat stated with a shocked face.

"Ice cream, seriously? Where the hell did you take this?" Patty was trying to hold back from laughter but boy, was it hard.

"Okay, Cass, I'm really easy to scare, but this was simply ridiculous." Alison didn't even try to hold back. Cassadee mumbled something in an attempt to mock her, but that only caused more laughter.

"Guys, I actually have a better story." Pat spoke. "Okay, once upon a time..."

"You can't start a horror story like that! It sounds like a fairy tale!" Cassadee protested.

"Says the one who literally told a story about Satan and the ice cream kid." he responded with a smirk. Cassadee rolled her eyes and huffed, crossing her arms towards her chest.

As Pat started telling his story, I noticed Alison got up and made her way to the wood I was sitting on, then she sat next to me.

"A penny for your thoughts?" She smiled cutely. I smiled back.

"I was listening to their stories, no big deal." I shrugged.

"Ha, I saw that."

"Saw what?"

"That you've been watching the sky half of the time." She smirked.

"Ah, that... I was just... admiring it." Alison looked up and stayed silent for a few seconds.