Came Just In Time

C h a p t e r 1

Shuffling of feet echoes throughout the entirety of the S.H.I.E.L.D. base. Agents of every level move around, making the sounds of their feet imitate the rolling of the drums. Everyone had their purposes, yet when they work at S.H.I.E.L.D. it's like their purposes were shrouded in the mist of work load.

"Get me to the man in charge, agent." A stern voice called out, a hint of annoyance and anger linger. The owner of the voice came rushing down the hallway on the fifteenth floor. It was a woman. She had choppy blue hair that does not even reach her shoulders. Her eyes were the succulent color of chocolate brown. She wore the typical agent attire. Her feet moved twice as quick as alarms began to set off. Taking a sharp turn at the end of the hall, she went to the stairs and jumped over the edge into the long drop.

"3.... 2.... 1" She grabbed onto the railing, a stinging sensation coursed through her hands up to her armpits. Scowling, she let go and she fell from 5 feet. Shaking off her arms, she ran out the exit just to see the once frozen captain running out the main entrance. S.H.I.E.L.D. agents began to chase after him, calling orders to others. She went up to the one in charge.

"At ease." She stood firmly with her shoulders back, showing authority. He turned around and saluted, politely. "We don't want to scare the man. How would you feel if you fell asleep now and then woke a moment later to find that everything you know, everything you love, all changed or is taken from you?" The agents soon lowered their weapons and relaxed in their stances. It was a mind-boggling thought; to be in Captain America's shoes, to wake up nearly a hundred years later after the end of World War II only to find a futuristic world that could only come true in the books, it's a heavy burden to bare. The agent in charge barked out another order.

"You may go back to your original positions. Fury and I got this." She offered a small smile of reassurance. They murmured to each other and dispersed into the building, either going back to their original work or to be on their lunch break. Even so, the woman sprinted out the doors to catch up to the super soldier who is significantly faster than she is. Her breath begins to slow until Nick Fury offered a ride to his allocated position. Of course she accepted.

Damn, he's fast. She thought as her eyes landed on his figure, a confused look rests on his face. I had to get to him before he does something impulsive, although I doubt he would do something like that. When he turned around and noticed the two agents, his eyes met the girl's. And for a moment, they shared a small staring contest, which was abruptly interrupted by Nick Fury who took a step closer to him.

"Look, I'm sorry for the little show back there, but..." He paused for a moment to let Cap catch his breath. Soon, there were a few S.H.I.E.L.D. SUV's coming around. The woman held her hand up to signal for them to wait. "We thought it best to break it to you slowly."

Still panting, he replied. "Break what?" At that moment, the woman, whose badge read Reyes, began to sympathize for him. He had the confused look that broke her heart. It must have been so hard for him to cope this way. Before Nick could continue furthur on his explanation, Agent Reyes spoke up.

"You've been asleep, Cap." Both men averted their gaze to the woman. Nick had a pissed look which didn't bother her at all, in fact it lead her to continue with her train of thought. "For almost 70 years..." If there was a word to describe how the super soldier looked when he received the news, it would be stressed. His eyebrows knit and his breathing never faltered from it's fast beating. Fear-fueled adrenaline coursed through his veins. There was a chilling silence that hung around the air for just a few moments before she asked the next question.

"Are you gonna be okay, Cap?" Agent Reyes stared him down with such an intensity it was almost too uncomfortable.

"Yeah" he quickly replied. "Yeah, I just..." There was another silence, but he continued. "I had a date." A sadness filled her heart. This man had made a promise to a woman he'd come back to her and they'd go out. Perhaps she was the one he was gonna marry. It was already too late for that now.

Fury looked over at the woman and could tell what was going on in her mind. Since knowing her for years allowed him to analyze her behavioral patterns, he was easy to assess her situation. He placed a hand on her shoulder and saw the hardening glares soften. She bowed her head and took a step forward.

"Welcome to New York, Captain. I'm Agent Lilliana Reyes." She stuck her hand out for him to shake. The awoken soldier nodded his head and firmly grasped the woman's hand in his and gave a firm shake.

"Steve Rogers, ma'am." Lilliana chuckled.

"No need to be formal. It's not the 20th century." Steve offered a wary smile, obviously going to have to get used to the cultural differences of the new century.

"Let's take you back, Cap." Fury called out. As soon as they all piled into an SUV, they drove back to headquarters where Steve was take to the medical wing to be examined whether his vital organs were okay or not.

Lilliana stood beside Fury in the control room, searching for any signs of endangerment.

"Keep an eye on him, Agent Reyes." He ordered. "We never know what he might do."

"Yes, sir." It felt almost wrong to follow him around. At the same time, she wanted to know more about him. He was way too old fashioned for this generation and needed help. But, in the end, he was revived for a reason and she had a job to do.