XXXVII » thirty-seven

"Why are we here Justin?  I mean just last month you were screaming your lungs out at me. Don't get me wrong, I deserved it, so I'm not blaming you, but why are we here? And just the two of us," I questioned, twirling my straw in my glass of water.

"Because, I've been having horrible regrets with the way I ended things. The way I reacted. I personally want to thank you. If you and my dad never got together, there'd have been a  high chance of  my mom divorcing him. I know you would think she would have done it after she found out he cheated, but she told me that it was a relief that it got out because she was having an affair. Not with a seventeen year old, but it was happening. She said it had been a long time since dad ever made her feel special and after realizing they both weren't committed, they sat down with each other and talked things over and now they are one hundred percent honest with each other. This last month was better than I had expected it to be. I owe it all to you," he spoke.

I stared at him for a second, searching for the right things to say but nothing was coming to mind. Thank god the waiter came to take our orders.

"Hello, are you two all set? Ready to order?"

"Uh, yeah man. I'll just have the spaghetti bolognese and a piece of garlic bread to go with it," he spoke, looking up from his menu to put his focus on me.

"And for the lady?" The waiter spoke. I looked up at him and smiled.

"I'll just have your Mexican taco. That's all."

The waiter smiled at me and wrote it down on his pad of paper.

"The Mexican taco is one of the best things on the menu. I'm more than positive you will love it," he spoke before taking our menus and walking away.

"So, anyways. I just want you to know that you actually helped mend our family together."

"I don't know what to say. I mean I can't say you're welcome for cheating with your father and I can't say it's no big deal. So I don't really know what you want me to say," I replied, taking a sip of my water.

Justin didn't say anything, he just looked at me as a small smile spread across his mouth.

"What?" I questioned awkwardly, shifting uncomfortable in the booth.

"Do you remember that time you and I hung out? We went to go feed the geese and we went to the park? I had said something to you so you tried pushing me into the water, but failed, so I pushed you and we both fell in?" He smiled.

"Yeah, when we both totally forgot we had our phones in our pockets? My phone literally was acting up for a week after that," I giggled.

"Yeah, I had the biggest crush on you back then. Well I had a big crush on "Cammie" too at that time. I just wish I could go back. Rewind the exact moment where I said the wrong thing, and maybe you'd be mine. Maybe I wouldn't have got so upset at you with the whole father situation. Maybe things would be different, a lot different."

"Justin, what are you saying or trying to say? I don't really understand."

"I'm saying that even after all of the shit you've putt me through, I'm still madly and completely in love with you and I don't think I'll ever stop. I dated Kim because she was interested in me. I figured if I date someone else and get close to someone else, you'd be out of my mind for good but it didn't work that way. If anything, it made it a whole lot worse. I began comparing Kim to you. Mentally making note of how different you two were and how much I wanted her to be like you. She never compared and after seeing you at the mall the other day, you looked so good, like there was a glow to you. You looked better than anytime I could remember and I just wanted to hug you. To tell you we could work everything out," he said.