Chapter 3 - Denial

After reading the note, I placed my elbow on the table. I didn't understand. I stood up and told my men to prepare for anything. One of the men had seen me reading the note inside the camp and asked me questions regarding it. I felt my eyes darken as I heard his words. His expression changed from curious to deadly afraid as I clutched on my weapon. The man ran to his position and didn't look back. I stared at him for several minutes with mixed feelings. He couldn't act this way. This was but a start to a rebellion. All was a disaster in only one morning. I walked up to the man that had seen me read the note. I placed my arm on his shoulder. It made him jump and he turned to me with the most fearful look I had seen in months. And I had killed armies of people face to face. I felt a small stroke of pain in my chest as I closed my eyes. I raised my arm to hit the man but... instead ended up grabbing him by the hair and simply throwing his head aside a little bit. 

"I'm sorry, madam" he said with shame and regret but still something official and obedient in his voice. I adjusted my posture and walked away. I got small glances from my other men but they were too afraid to stare. They all knew what the pay of disobedience was. There was no question about it.

I walked by all my men. They were in position like I had told them. I looked away into the mountains with my hand over my eyes. Still nothing. Night came. Once the sun had set, all the men left their positions to sleep like after every other night. I stepped into the evening air from the camp and closed my eyes. I picked up an odd sound. A sound of whistling. I knew what that sound was. It must have been the enemy. Of course they would attack during the night. I was an idiot for not realizing that. 

I walked back into the camp and grabbed one of the men by the back of his clothing and slapped his face, shoving him outside. The men jumped out of their beds in fear of getting an even worse treatment. I looked at them and they knew what I expected them to do. Every single one of them grabbed their weapon and went back into their position, waiting for the enemy. An hour passed but nobody came. Three hours passed, still nobody. After a few hours, the sun came back up and daylight filled the camp. One of my men had fallen asleep in their position. No other man had noticed so I threw a small stone at him. I knew he was tired but I couldn't show that I accepted his behavior or he would get out of hand. 

Days passed and nothing changed. Nobody attacked. Every night I heard that same whistle. My men had slept for 3 hours during the past 4 days. I knew I would have to let them sleep or they would become weak and unable to fight. 

"Sleep" I said to my men on the 5th day's morning. All looked shocked and confused but walked inside the camp and into their beds. Every single one of them slept for 10 hours without waking up. For the same amount of time, I stood alone at the stone cliff I had shot the man in black and red, doing nothing but staring and making sure there was nobody willing to attack. Every sound was suspicious to me. Every animal in the wilderness seemed like a sign. Still, nobody attacked. More days passed and my men slept an average of 3 hours a day, taking turns. I barely slept. Sometimes I took walks in the wilderness, making sure no enemy footprints or signs were to be found. One day I found something that I wish I never would've found. 

On the 14th evening, I heard a rather loud scratching noise from the valley forests. I picked up my weapon, tied it to my back and walked all the way down the hill. I followed the suspicious sound, slowly untying my weapon from my back and drawing an arrow with it. As I got closer to it, I discovered the sound didn't come from the enemy nor an animal. It came from a rather odd looking plant. I lowered my bow and threw the arrow on my belt with the others. I walked closer to the plant. The smell of it was almost addicting. The sound was now like music to my ears and I felt an enormous urge to touch the plant. As I did, my finger felt a small tingle and after years and years, I finally smiled. I had been on the very edge of having to give up and let my whole army go. I had even had thoughts about letting all my men go home and giving myself to the enemy. But now, now I felt like I had energy again. I wasn't sleepy like I had been for days and days. I wanted to continue. I wanted to live. I wanted to keep my men under control. 

All these thoughts and feelings traveled through my head until I let go of the plant. Suddenly my mind felt heavy again. I was tired, angry, pressured... Then a thought came into my head. The plant smelled amazing. It reminded me of freshly baked pastries but also lavender perfume and melted chocolate all at the same time. It was sweet but salty. Delicious but beautiful. I touched it again. I felt tingles all over my body. My lips curved into a vague smile. I ripped a small piece off of the beautiful and grey colored leaf. The smell of it felt too good to be true. I touched the ripped off piece with the tip of my tongue. It was the best thing I had ever tasted. My eyes closed slowly as I put the entire piece of leaf in my mouth. Suddenly my eyes opened wider than ever before. Instant regret.