chapter one - r

"an invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place, or circumstance. the thread may stretch or tangle but it will never break." -ancient chinese belief

Ladybug began seeing things when she was thrown across the room. Granted, it was her fault in the sense that she wasn't paying attention, but a lot of things were on her mind that day. Of course she just had to be sidetracked in the middle of a battle against an Akuma.

How it all began?

Everything started as a casual day in school. The sky was clear, the birds were chirping, and Adrien was looking as fabulous as always. Wait a minute; were her thoughts escaping again? Marinette shook her head wildly as she trudged up the stairs beside Alya. It was bad enough that she was a stuttering mess around him and couldn't hold a normal sentence to save her life, but creepily seeing sparkles around her crush? Marinette was a complete heart fluttering mess. She sighed, and her friend caught sight of this.

"Oh no. More love problems?" Alya teased her friend by nudging Marinette with her elbow.

Marinette tugged at her pigtails with stress as they walked across the gym, "You know it. I don't understand how anyone talk normally in front of the person they like. It's like giving a speech in front of the mayor; impossible!" She stared sadly at the back of Adrien's glorious golden locks that sparkled against the sunlight. Marinette pinched her cheeks to regain sanity, which was a bit impossible to do as of arriving at school. As they finally reached their classroom, the whole room was buzzing as if they were a swarm of bees. And of course, in any hive, there's the queen bee.

"Adrien, darling!" Chloé cried as she tackled him, puckering up and trying to land a kiss on the model's cheek. Her arms were tightly wrapped around his neck like a noose; unable to unravel and could possibly bring death.

"Hey Chloé," Adrien awkwardly pushed her face away, and Marinette felt a sense of relief. She obviously wouldn't release him, but Adrien was doing his best to maintain a good face distance.

As the two best friends headed for their seats, a flash of pink stopped them in their tracks. "Have you two heard about the latest craze?" Rose squealed as she clapped her hands together, as if she was on a sugar high. Knowing her, it was possible. She was the very definition of rainbows and sunshine; if you looked up the phrase online, there would be a picture of Rose. "The red string of fate?" Her short blond hair shook with excitement that she couldn't contain.

Alya leaned forward with interest, pushing her glasses up like a reporter would, "Hm? What's that?"

"It's all the rage in Japan right now, and people in France are starting to learn about it. I mean, I'd rather have my string be pink instead of red, but they're both pretty close," She rambled with her periwinkle eyes all aglow, "Anyways, it's about a supposedly invisible string that ties you with your eternal partner. And get this; it can stretch and tangle, but can't break! Kind of like Ladybug's yo-yo. Pretty interesting, right? But I wonder how it's red if it's invisible. I heard it's a thing that came from Ancient China and-."

"That's all I needed to know," Alya immediately typed into her cell phone the newest data she just received.

Marinette looked around to all the classmates bustling about, especially Chloe trying to make Adrien hold up his pinky finger like her, "Is that what everyone's talking about?"