Slip Into Collapse

Lynn's P.O.V.

I woke up in a daze, cool tile pressed against my skin. Everything was blurry, and my head throbbed uncontrollably. I forced my body up, looking around for Ava. She was still lying on the floor, motionless. I tried standing up, walking over to her. I rolled her over and picked her up, brushing her hair away from her face. I pulled my phone out and called Brian, knowing I wouldn't be able to walk back to Jess's house.

"Hello?" Brian said groggily, obviously woken up by his ringtone.

"Hey, um...can you come to the music shop? Something happened," I told him, my voice slightly shaking. I heard Brian shift in his position on the other end of the call. "What? Is everything okay? What happened?" he asked frantically.

"I'm fine..I..don't know what happened completely. There was a girl here and she attacked Ava and I. I think Ava knows her," I explained, not sure what to say. "Oh, God. Not Emily..Hang on, I'll be there soon."

"Um..Okay. Brian-" 

He hung up before I could ask him how he knew who Emily was. Ava had never told me about her. Why would she keep that from me? Why did she tell Brian and not me? I pushed the thought out of my head. That wasn't important. I needed to get Ava back to Jess's and make sure she was okay. We would talk about what happened later. "Ava, baby, wake up," I said, stroking her face. She wasn't moving, and was unresponsive. 

"Ava? Baby, please, please wake up.." No response.

I pulled my phone out and dialed 911 frantically. Ava wasn't waking up, no matter how much I shook her. She was still breathing, but it was shallow, as if she wasn't getting enough air.

"911, what is your emergency?"

"Um..she's not waking up. My girlfriend isn't waking up," I stammered, feeling my throat close up. "What is your location?"

"Outside a music shop..um..1438 Helena Avenue. Please hurry, please. I need her to wake up," I begged, letting tears fall down my cheeks. "We have an ambulance on its way. Could you stay on the line until they arrive?" the woman on the other end of the line wondered. "Yes, yes," I told her, taking in a shaky breath. I put my phone on the ground and put it on speaker in case the woman said anything. I held Ava in my arms, continuing to check her breathing and begging her to wake up.

I was sobbing uncontrollably by the time the ambulance arrived. They asked me to move away, but I continued to hold on to her, burying my face in her neck. 

"Ma'am, you're going to have to move please," a man told me. I only cried harder, unable to move, as if I was glued to the ground and all I could do was pray for Ava to be okay. I felt someone's arms wrap around me and pull me away. I tried to pull away, but they were too strong for me to fight. "Miss, I need you to calm down. We're going to take care of her," he told me. I went limp and watched as they moved Ava into the ambulance, an oxygen mask strapped to her face.

I breathed heavily, wiping the tears from my face. 

"Lynn?!" Brian yelled, running over to me. Alex and Jess trailed behind him, concerned looks plastered on their faces. "Brian..." I sobbed, letting him embrace me tightly. I cried into his shoulder, my entire body shuddering. "Come on, we need to get to the hospital. It's okay, Lynn. It's gonna be okay," he told me, picking me up. He carried me to Jess's car and sat with me in the backseat while Jess followed the ambulance. 

Everything seemed to pass through me as I listened to Jess and Alex talking frantically in the front of the car. I couldn't process anything, couldn't think. All I could imagine was the worst thing: that Ava didn't wake up.

My stomach hurt, and my chest tightened. I wondered how far we were from the hospital as we waited at a red light. I squeezed my eyes shut as I felt the car begin to move again, hoping and praying as hard as I could. I felt a deep hatred grow inside of me for Emily. I wanted her to pay for what she did to Ava...My Ava.

"Lynn, we're here," Brian told me, unbuckling himself, then me. "I have to see her," I choked, sniffling. Brian exchanged glances with Alex and Jess before opening his mouth to speak. "I don't know if that's a good idea. They probably won't be letting her have visitors this soon anyway. Lynn, I think it's best to just wait and see what the doctor says," Brian told me, putting his hand on my shoulder. I shook my head no.

"I'm not waiting around to see if she's okay or not without seeing her first. I need to," I argued, opening my door. "Lyndsey, don't," Jess said. I ignored her and shut my door, running to the front doors of the emergency room.

I shoved them open and ran down the hall, trying to find the receptionist. I found the desk and rang the bell continuously until someone came to help. "I'm looking for Ava Longstreth. There was an emergency and I'm her girlfriend. Can you please tell me her room number?" I begged, trying to catch my breath.

The woman typed something into her computer before looking up at me. "She can't have any visitors at the moment. The doctors are currently trying to stabilize her. Miss, are you alright? You look like you've been hurt," the woman said to me. I shook my head. "I'm fine. Please, just let me see her. I can't loose her, I can't," I cried, burying my face in my hands. I was a mess, but I couldn't control myself.

"Ma'am, the doctors are doing everything they can. Can you come with me and we'll get you some help for those cuts," she said, touching my elbow. I felt a hand on my shoulder and saw Alex behind me. "They're parking, Lynn. Come on, you need help too," he told me.

I nodded reluctantly and let the receptionist lead me into a room, grabbing bandages and such. My lip stung as she cleaned it, patching it up. She put bandages on my nose and forehead, where Emily had punched and shoved me.

Once she was done, Alex helped me walk into the waiting room, sitting me down on a bench. I leaned my head against his shoulder as we waited for Brian and Jess to meet us.

Once they arrived, two officers trailed in behind them, notepads in their hands. Jess said something to them about coming back later, after we had heard about Ava and I had gotten some rest. They hesitated before leaving, grumbling as they exited the building. 

Alex continued to let me rest against him as Brian rubbed my shoulder. I closed my eyes and felt a few tears escape as I hoped for the best.

QOTD: Who's your favorite character in the story? (Just curious haha)