Chapter 3: Finding The Ark of the Covenant

Rob and I were sitting in a pile of Ralphy’s blood in our tent trying to concoct some devious plan to escape this prison camp.

“Okay Rob here is what we are going to do.” I said as I leaned over to him. “Okay we are going to wait for twenty minutes and then we will leave the tent. Once we have left the tent we will run through the darkness and find a secluded corner where we will begin to break out. Do you follow?” I asked Rob. HE nodded his head, and looked deep into my eyes completely terrified, but knowing it was our best and only chance at leaving here alive.

We opened the cold canvas flap to our tent and poked our heads out like Puxatony Phil on the first day of spring. We were afraid, scared, but ready to fulfill our destiny saving this planet. I took the lead the cold air blew across my face giving me chills down my spine. My eyes darted left, then, then left again as I felt my heart begin to pound like the drum of an army marching off to war.  The stupid redneck soldiers marched back and forth on their patrol of the camp. Luckily for us they were all too drunk to really notice anything. They paced back and forth, their yellow glazed over eyes focused straight ahead in a daze. They were only paying attention to the rhythm of which foot get picked up next in order to walk and keep their balance. I signaled with my finger to Rob that the coast was clear, and we could make our next move around the corner of the tent we were hiding behind. In order for us to move to our next location we would have to dart through the light and find another safe place to lay low until the next guard passed us. We ran through the light and found ourselves nearing a wall. I looked at the wall and knew that it was our chance to escape. I went to lift my bum foot off the ground and I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was one of Ralphy’s goons. This was not part of our plan we were caught, and would be killed on sight.

“Hey have you guys seen Ralphy around at all tonight?” The drunken man slurred to me ending his profound question with a hiccup.

“Naw sorry pal, I heard he was goin’ outside the walls for the a bit.” Rob told the man in his best southern accent.

“Hey Marv those two seen Ralphy anywhere?” Another southern voice called out from about twenty feet away.

“Hell I dunno I haven’t asked em yet” Marv told the man whose face was hidden by the darkness surrounding us. “Hey have you guys seen Ralphy anywhere?” Marv asked us again.

“Yea I think I saw him over here.” I interjected putting one hand on Marv’s shoulder and sliding the other hand onto the handle my new machete. “Just follow me for a moment.” I told Marv feigning being as helpful as possible.

“Ay, Billy he says he seen em.” Marv called over to the man standing father away from us.

“Okay well I’m goin back to the tent to open another bottle. You two come find me in ten. Aight?” Hollered Billy back to Marv. Marv followed us all the way to the darkest corner of the wall. Robert and I discretely placed our hands behind our backs as we led Marv. I figured making it look like we were being transported by a guardsman might make our escape easier.

“Okay we are here.” I said to Marv as we reached a quite secluded section of fence.

“Where’s Ralphy?” Marv asked us completely confused at the events that were taking place.

“Don’t worry I have a feeling you’re going to be seeing him soon.” Robert gulped. I pulled my machete from my pant leg and pushed Marv up against the wall. I threw Rob the bone saw and told him to start cutting the fence so we could fit through.

“What is the fastest way to get to Topeka Kansas?” I demanded as I pressed the blade into Marv’s throat. Marv’s fat body began to sweat more profusely than it did while he was doing mundane chores like… walking.