Zooey: Tree

I grab a sturdy branch of my favorite tree, and start to pull my body up into it. Using my bare feet, I continue to climb towards the sky, wishing that I would never reach the top. I would climb and climb forever, never reaching a limit, never stopping to look down.

Once I've found a comfy spot between two branches, I stretch out my legs and let my head rest on the trunk.

"What a day," I say to myself and pull the bag of strawberries out of my pocket.

I open the ziplock bag slowly, examine the berries to see which one looks the juiciest, then pop the winner into my mouth.

I squint as I chew the suddenly bitter snack. Deciding that I've had enough sour strawberries for the day, I rest the almost-full bag on a small branch and close my eyes.

With my eyes shutting out my surroundings, I can only see one thing in my head; Olan.

He's smiling at me, like he did when I first agreed to go on a date with him in February. His light hair was longer then, but not long enough to be considering 'long'. His brown eyes were the same as they are now, though; dark and velvety, like chocolate.

Why did I break up with him again?

I'm pretty sure the first reason was that he wasn't treating me right. Then again, I don't really have an idea of what's considered right and wrong in a relationship, because before this I've never been in one before.

That's Olan's voice in my mind, telling me that I don't know. That was another thing that bothered me; he made me feel dumb for being curious. It's not my fault I like asking questions! Or is it?

There he is again, constantly in my brain, questioning my every thought. It's become a sort of habit now.

What was the last reason, again?

Oh yeah. He just doesn't seem that into me anymore. He doesn't kiss me like he used to, with passion and pleasure. It's forced, like a smile you give to someone you don't like, you don't do it because you want to, but because you have to.

Tears begin to blind me as the thought comes into my mind.

What did I do that made him suddenly so unenthusiastic about everything? All the things I said, he either ignored, gave a short answer like 'yeah' or 'sure', or replied to with a sarcastic remark.

I hate sarcasm. It makes me feel stupid, and it makes the person giving it come across as condescending and grumpy.

"Zooey!" I hear my name being called from below me.

I quickly wipe my eyes and yell down, "What?"

I see my older sister, Casey, holding my cell phone up in the air. "Someone's calling you!"

Who would be calling me? The only calls I ever get are from Olan, but I highly doubt he wants to chat with me right now...or ever again.