Chapter IV

Katara stared at her friends, "Who's going to go talk to him?"

"Not me! Do you want me to die?" Sokka protested, crossing his arms firmly.

Katara rolled her eyes in complete annoyance and sighed deeply as both Toph and Aang shook their heads. "Do I have to do everything?" She growled, marching past them. Aang and Toph appeared somewhat ashamed, facing down at their feet. Once Katara reached the open front door, her pace slowed until she stopped. She looked at the door behind her and closed it softly. She turned around quietly and watched Zuko sitting on the steps leading to the porch. She stared at his back, contemplating what she should say. She hadn't thought this through. Not knowing how long she was quiet, she finally opened her mouth until Zuko stood up, "Are you just going to stand there or say something?" Katara closed her mouth, not surprised that he knew she was there this whole time, and felt a bit embarrassed.

"Sorry." Zuko sighed, turning to face her, "I'm just feeling- nothing. Never mind."

Katara relaxed and raised her eyebrows at his apology. "Oh. Do you want to talk about it?" She asked, not knowing how to deal with the type of situation, mainly because it was Zuko.

All he gave her was silence. She sighed and backed up a little, "Or not..." She rolled her eyes, not surprised, feeling stupid for falling for his trick.

"Even if I did, it's not like you would want to listen. You're just asking out of pity." Zuko finally spoke up quietly. He climbed the stairs to step back on the porch wanting to go back inside. Before he could pass her up and leave her alone, Katara grabbed his arm and pulled him back. "Zuko." She looked up at him, who stared her down. "It's not out of pity. Do you want to talk about it?" She asked once again, more firmly. 

Zuko raised his eyebrows and sighed, "Not really," he whispered, unable to meet her daring eyes anymore.

Katara felt a tinge of sadness for him but quickly dismissed it. She watched him carefully, her hand still wrapped around his forearm. It was only when she slid her hand down his arm to place it in his hand that Zuko made eye contact with her, "What are you-"

"Just shut up, stupid," Katara told him as she embraced him tightly.

Zuko's eyes widened, not expecting this from her, "What are you-" he repeated. He stared at the floorboard behind Katara. It was silent, but he could finally relax and quickly wrapped his arms around her tightly. She was surprised by the sudden action but soon realized he's never had anyone but himself, so something as small as a hug could do great things for him.

Zuko shut his eyes, "I don't know what you did just now, but thank you," he whispered.

Katara nodded.

The tension in the air grew the longer they stood in each other's arms. Katara finally moved away from him, "Okay, I think that's enough hugging," she said quickly, turning her back to him as she crossed her arms in front of her chest. Zuko brought his hand up to the back of his head, running his fingers through his thick, black hair. He laughed nervously, "Uh- Yeah..." he drew out.

Katara went for the front door and swung it open, only to be stopped midway by slamming into something hard, with groans of agony coming afterward. She peered around the door and looked down to find Aang, Sokka, and Toph on the floor, grasping their noses in misery.

"My face!" Sokka shouted, shutting his eyes, his hands covering his face, "You broke my beautiful face!"

Katara gasped, squeezed through the door's crack, and knelt beside her brother and friends. "Oh no, I'm sorry! Are you guys okay?" She quickly spoke, placing her hand gently under Sokka's head. "I'm sorry. I didn't know you were there..." She trailed off as her eyes narrowed in thought, "Wait. Were you guys eavesdropping? I can't believe you guys!" She huffed, standing up quickly, causing Sokka's head to slam back onto the wooden floor of the house. Sokka let out a shriek of pain, "Katara!" he shouted, his hands shooting up to the back of his head.