Chapter IX

Katara wiped the tears from her face, her cheeks red and her eyes puffy. She finally looked up into the dark room she walked into, the only light coming in from the small crack between the drapes. She walked up to the window and pulled the drapes apart, dust flying everywhere. She coughed and waved the dust away from her face before turning around to see a grand piano in the center of the room. The beautiful black coating turned ash gray from all the dust that had collected over the years. There were paintings of the Fire Lord and the royal family scattered across the walls, and a handful of finished and unfinished drawings of the scenery, unfamiliar people, animals, and plants pinned up on the walls or thrown on the floor, some with burned edges or around the center, probably because the artist thought they were unsatisfactory. Katara looked in awe as she approached the piano. She swiped the thick layer of dust that sat on top of the piano and revealed the jet-black coloring that illuminated it when the slight sunlight hit it. She clapped the dust off her hand and sat on the bench placed in front of the keys. She blew the dust away from the keys and straightened her back, running her fingers lightly over the white keys. She'd always see a piano from afar but never had an opportunity to come this close to one, to admire its beauty and sound firsthand. She wondered if Zuko knew how to play. 

She stood up and walked over to the drawings on the walls. They were very messy yet still appealing. She studied them carefully, the plants, the trees, the types of animals, who the people in the drawings might be: a famous person, someone who passes you on the street, a friend, a family member, a lover. She approached a painting that portrayed the royal family and smiled when she recognized a little Zuko but then frowned when she remembered why she was in there in the first place.

The door creaked open, and Katara looked to see her brother come in. Her frown deepened, and she crossed her arms, looking away from him, "I'm not speaking to you. I thought you were my brother, but I guess not." Her throat tightened as tears tried to escape her eyes. Sokka sighed and walked into the room, "Katara, please. I'm still and forever will be your brother. You can't get rid of me that easily." He laughed awkwardly, "I just wanted to see if you were alright...and to apologize." 

Katara turned around, her eyes burning as tears fell down her face, "Apologize for what?" She asked angrily. Sokka watched her with a saddened expression. He hated seeing her cry, especially if he was the one who caused it, "Katara, I'm sorry. I really, really am. I should've believed you when you said so. It's just I got into protective big brother mode when I thought it was Zuko, of all people. That's weird and uncalled for because I know you would never fall for a person like him." 

Katara bawled her hands into fists, "What if I did?" She bit on the inside of her cheeks in anticipation of his response. "What if I did fall for someone like Zuko? Would you still say those things? Would you still love me? Be my brother? Support me?!" 

Sokka's mouth slightly hung open, unable to process her words. "I- uh-"

Katara narrowed her eyes and marched out the door, pushing Sokka away from her path, "Unbelievable." She muttered as she passed him by. Sokka tried to grab her before she left, but she shoved him away. He watched her leave, deciding to leave her be for now. He couldn't believe he had messed up again. 

Meanwhile, Zuko and Toph cleaned up everything in the kitchen and saved what food was left. They walked out of the kitchen when Katara ran by them and up the stairs crying. Zuko watched as his heart sank. 

"Why are you wet?" Sokka asked when he caught sight of them. 

Zuko gave him a glare, "Why are you stupid?" He retorted. He took a few steps forward, "You were supposed to make her feel better, not worse! What kind of brother are you?!" he yelled.