Chapter 2 -- Anna

The rest of my day went horribly, meaning everything seemed to go wrong, no matter what I did.

"Darn you Luke! It's all your fault," I cursed under my breath.

The end of my last class came and I packed up my bag, walking out of the gym, I began to walk home. Well, home as in my apartment. I don't have a roomate yet but they said that she should be coming in tonight, so that should be fun.

I get to my apartment and unlock the door, going inside, I plop my bag down on the floor next to the door and go into the kitchen. I open the fridge, grab stuff to make a sandwitch, and a rootbeer bottle.

I put it all on the counter and slap together a sandwitch. I grab my rootbeer and my sandwitch an go into the living room, sitting down on the couch and turning on the TV.

I had just finished my sandwitch and started on my homework when the doorbell rang. I groaned and got up to open the door. I reached out and opened it. Outside stood a girl who looked about my age. She had a few suitcases with her, a couple other small bags, and she looked exausted.
Her long brown hair was ruffled by the wind, and her pretty green eyes sparkled even though she was obviously tired.

"Hi, are you Alyssa?" she asked.

"Yeah, who are you?" I asked her gently.

"I'm Anna Sanders. Apparently I'm your roomate."

"Oh, hi! Come on in!" I stepped aside and gestured for her to come in.

She smiled and bent down, attempted grab all of her stuff, but it didn't work very well. She dropped several things on her toes.

"Ow!" she yellped when one of her bags hit her foot.

"Hay let me help you!" I said, walking over to her and picking up everything besides her hand bag that she had slung over her shoulder.

"Oh, you don't have to carry all of it, I can get it!" she said, realizing that I was carrying everything all at once.

"Nah, I got it, just go," I said laughing.

It was always easy for me to carry a
whole bunch of stuff. Guess that comes with having super strength.
"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Yep!"

"Okay. Thanks," she said, walking into the apartment.

I followed her, taking all of her stuff upstairs and plopping it all down in the other bedroom that was next to mine.
She quietly followed me in and sat her small bag down on her dresser.

"It's a nice place you've got here, thanks for letting me stay."

"Not a problem. Hay, if you want to come downstairs, I was just about to make some coffee if you want some," I said, setting her stuff down on the floor.

"Sure!" she said excitedly, following me back down the stairs.

After a little bit, we both sat down in the livingroom with our cups of coffee, settling in to start talking to get to know each other.

"So, where are you from?" I asked, taking a sip from my mug.

"Wisconsin, you?" she replied.

"Here."

"Oh, so how long have you lived here?"

"Since I was born. My family has lived here for a really long time. Actually, some of my family members helped set the foundations for this city."

"Wow, that's a long time. So, why did you choose to come to collage here?"

"I needed to get away," was my reply, I looked away from her, my head facing the floor and my long black hair falling in front of my face and shadowing it from view.

"Get away from what?" she asked gently.

"My life, my family........ my memories...... my thoughts. I just needed to get away from the torture!" I didn't mean to yell, it just sort of came out.

I began to get angry, even though I tried really hard not to.

"I had to get away," I gritted my teeth, and squeezed my mug so hard that it broke in my hand.

It sent coffee spraying everywhere and pieces of the mug dug into my hand, making it bleed.

"Oh! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to bring up a sore subject. Here, let me help you!" she freaked out, jumping up and grabbing some paper towel.

"It's fine, you didn't know. And besides, it's my fault for over reacting. I should have controlled my temper," I said stubbornly, but sadly.

"That's okay. I grew up with seven brothers who didn't know how to behave themselves, so I'm used to it," she replied, wiping up the spilled coffee. Then she saw my hand that I was trying to hide so she wouldn't freak out even more. "Oh my gosh! Let me see that!"

She reached for my hand but I yanked it away and said, "It's nothing! I'm fine!"

"No! Let me see it!" she almost yelled.

I was so surprized by this that I let her take hold of my wrist and bring my hand out to take a look at.

"Oh I'm so sorry!" she said, looking away when she saw it. I could tell that a few tears were sliding down her cheeks.

She reached up and wiped them eawahy quickly before looking back at me with a small smile. I didn't look at her, my head was still facing to the side and I was looking down to avoid her eyes.

She carefully took my hand and slowly reached out to pull the pieces of ceramic that were imbeded in my skin out.

The second she barely touched the first piece, I winced, flinching away from her hand for a moment.

"Hold still. This is going to hurt."

Then, without warning, she quickly but gently grabbed a piece and pulled it out. I hissed in pain.

A few minutes later, she had gotten all of the pieces out and was wrapping up my hand. It was silent and for a moment, all you could hear was our breathing. She finished quickly and stood up, grabbing the towel with the ceramic pieces in it and taking them into the kitchen. She dumped them in the trash can, then came back into the livingroom.

Sitting down next to me on the couch she asked, "What happened to you?"

"What do you mean," I asked gruffly.

"For you to get so angry so easily. What happened to you when you were youger?"

"My mom died giving birth to me, and my dad just died a couple years ago because he was so depressed about my mother dying. And on top of that, my dad's crazy, psyco brother took over my family business until I'm old enough to claim the thro- to claim it," I spilled out of nowhere, and almost revealed the fact that I was royalty before I stopped myself.

"Oh. I'm so sorry. I wont bring it up ever again, and Alyssa?"

"Yeah?"

"If you need anything, I'm here."

"Thanks," I said, looking at her for the first time since I broke the mug.

"It's what I'm hear for," she said, smiling.

I smiled back, relaxing back into the couch and loosening my tense muscles.

"Let's watch some TV," I suggested.

"Sure," she said, settling into the
couch as well, while I turned on the TV to my favorite show.

After a long time of watching TV, I looked over at Anna to see that she had fallen asleep. I looked at my watch and saw that it was past midnight, so I switched off the TV, stood up and went over to her. I bent down and gently picked her up, carrying her upstairs, I set her down on her bed and covered her with a blanket. I turned out the lights and left the room, went to my own and climbed in bed. I fell asleep almost instantly.