Chasing

Despite Marionette's word-stumbling, Adrien beamed, sending the poor girl into a fresh wave of nervous smiling, and blushing profoundly.

"Ah- um, I have something for you... For Christmas I mean... Uh...here!" Marionette pushed the small package into Adrien's arms.

"For me? Oh, Marionette thank you so much! I'm sorry I don't have anything for you..." Adrien felt a little guilty, the amount tripling once he pulled out a beautiful sweater.

"Wow! This must have cost you a fortune! It's so soft and nice!"

"Uh... I actually made it myself..." Marionette smiled, glad he like the gift. "It really does bring his eyes out nicely."

Adrien was very impressed, and was about to express his gratitude when a high-pitched voice cut in.

"Oh Adrien! I'm so glad I found you again! Oh, and what's that? A dead cat? Let me replace it with a present for you, darling." A jealous Chloe had snuck next to Adrien, watching the scene.

Chloe promptly snagged the sweater out of his hands and thrust it on the floor, pushing a smaller parcel in his hands. "This is a present you'll find much more suitable! It's a ticket for a one week cruise with yours truly, free of charge!"

She smooched him on the cheek, and turned, dragging Adrien along with her, making sure to step on the already rumpled sweater on the way out.

She gave Marionette a smirk as they rounded the corner.

"Marionette-"

"Uh, I have to go to the bathroom, be right back!" Marionette said with a forced smile, turning towards Alya.

"Marionette, wait, let me come-"

"It'll only take a minute Alya, go talk with someone... Look- they even have some food!" Marionette interrupted. Quickly, she ran in the direction of the bathroom.

Locking herself in, she felt a small tear run down her face.

"What, why am I-"

It was unlike her to cry so easily. It was no big deal, really. Besides, she and Adrien were friends, he wouldn't do anything to hurt her feelings.

She had come for a good time, not to mope.

"Tikki?" Marionette whispered, "I need to transform."

A flash of red light later, and Marionette was no longer there.

Ladybug needed some time alone.

Pushing open the window, Ladybug leapt out, swinging up towards the roof, momentarily flying by a window that Adrien happened to be looking out of, trying to find an escape from Chloe's drab conversation.

"Ladybug?" Adrien questioned, his heart jumping a little at the thought of his crush. "I should go see what's happening... She could be in danger..."

The thought wasn't likely, but he would do a lot for a chance to talk to her.

"Um, excuse me Chloe, I think, uhm, Natalie is calling me... wait here."

Before she had time to detect his fake excuse, he scrambled away, locking himself in his room.

"Plagg?"

No response. Typical.

He dug around his dresser for a piece of cheese, the smell grabbing the attention of the kwami.

Leaving through the window as Ladybug had, he distantly saw a slender silhouette against the Paris skyline.

~~~~

By this time, multiple tears were running down Ladybug's masked face, and she desperately tried to stop them.

She thrust her yoyo at a roof and swung herself down onto the grass, the wind wiping her tears away.

Pausing a moment to catch her breath, she faced the night sky, her breath showing in quick puffs of air.

She heard a clatter behind her. A hand reached for her yoyo, and she scanned the scene.

"Oh no, is that... is that Chat?"

She couldn't let him see her like this. Another tear uncontrollably spilled out of her eyes. She flung herself above the ground and headed for somewhere he couldn't find her; the old abandoned buildings on the west side of town.

~~~~

He had seen her.

He watched as she paused, standing almost heroically from her crouched landing position.

He held his breath as she took in the night sky, breath fogs surrounding her, picture perfect.

Picture perfect.

He smiled and took a step forward, accidentally causing a rock to hit the gutter below him.

He watched as Ladybug stiffened, turned, and dashed away.

"Did she see me?"

Curious to see where she was going, he sprung after her.

~~~~

She nestled herself in a notch that was a perfect place for her condition. Quiet, alone, and beautiful.

The place she was sitting in was a decayed and sunken chunk of wood, and someone had placed an old couch cushion on it, making for a makeshift bench on the roof of an old car maintenance garage. It was odd, but perfect in a unique way.

"I should be fine here."

Ladybug sighed, and leaned back, taking deep breaths.

~~~~

Chat Noir was wary this time. He wanted to surprise Ladybug, see her usually stern face light up with an adorable gasp.

He had seen her swiftly jump down to the empty garage, and sit in the couch cushion.

But why was she here now?

Chat slinked up the edge of the building, using his cat-like powers to make no noise.

He smiled to himself, reaching towards his lady.

"Boo!"

Ladybug's big blue eyes turned toward him in shock, but he didn't see the playful reaction he expected.

He saw tears.