"We're Family!"

You know, I love the nordics for a lot of reasons. Not only are they all precious muffins, but their differing personalities bring out so many character  it's ridiculous. Not to mention ships, the jokes, etc etc. 

But I found something particularly interesting recently.

Canonically, Norway and Iceland are the only ones blood related within the nordics. They are the only two that are officially brothers, and the rest are dorks that love their friends too much. I found nothing particularly wrong with this; of course,  I could go up to anyone and call them "brother!" 

But then I realized something was represented in that name. Those five have been together since... forever, really. Scandinavia back in the day was a cold, bloody place, so I'd imagine that would want to stick together. They huddled together for protection, political strength, and company. 

I would imagine they would almost take pride in the name of siblings. These are the people who wish to stick by them, and they won't whisk themselves away. That simple name was something they shared, and did for a long, long time.

Not to mention how many others didn't use this. For example, the Soviets. Russia has known (let's just use one for now) Lithuania for a long time. Since they were chibi little cuties, actually. They even bonded themselves under the Soviet flag. But, they would never call themselves siblings, although they really have every right to. This shows the uneasiness in their relationship even further than what is already presented. 

Or another example could be Austria and Prussia. They could easily call themselves brothers, but don't because of the tension of their relationship. On the other hand, despite Germany and Prussia's differences, they're close and trust each other more than  most. 

Things like this make me realize the significance of family in this stupidly amazing show. Hell, even Italy calls France "Big Brother Francis" sometimes. It doesn't particularly show blood relations, although that does play a part. It shows a bond of sorts, a trust.

I just think that's awesome.