Chapter 22 - This Isn't Goodbye

Ian's POV

"Who are you?"

The words pierced through my heart like knives. Did he really not know who I was?

"Anthony it's me! I-Ian?"

He just continued to look at blankly, as if I everything we had been through was nothing. He had to know who I was! Was this what everyone had been warning me about? His serious condition? Has he lost his memory? I needed answers dammit!

"I'm sorry..I-Ian was it?" 

"Heh..yeah..yeah that's me..your-"

"ANTHONY!" a small voice squealed from behind me. It was Matthew.

The younger brother ran over to him, jumping up on the bed and hugging him tightly and Anthony hugged back. Did he remember Matthew? No...no! This couldn't be happening! He had to know who I was..he just had to..

"Matthew! You should be sleeping," Anthony laughed, tears running down his cheek and hugging Matthew tightly. 

Matthew never said anything in reply. He sat up beside Anthony and looked at me confused. "Why are you all the way over there Ian? Anthony's okay!" 

I didn't know what to do. By now I had tears running down my cheeks, my mouth was dry and my throat hurt like hell from trying to hold back the tears but what happened next I could never have seen coming. 

Anthony and Matthew's head turned to the door, jaws dropped and little louder than a whisper I heard Anthony's voice saying a faint, questioning, "mom?"

He was right..It was her.

The rage I felt seeing that woman's face. Leaving her own children when one of them gets badly injured and the other to cry in confusion because he didn't understand what was going on. If I wasn't so confused an restless about everything that's happened in the past few days I would have slapped that bitch then and there..but unfortunately that wouldn't have solved anything. Except maybe the fact it would make me feel better. 

"Anthony! OH my baby! Are you okay?!" The devil herself cried as she shoved me out the way to the ones she abandoned, hugging them tightly..or well she would have if Matthew hadn't backed away from her. 

It was strange. He just stood there, staring at her in what looked like fear.

"Matthew dear, come here. I've missed you so much!" 

He tried to reply, only mumbled faintly that no one could understand.

"Matthew don't mumble. You know I hate mumbling!"

His face. His innocent face was no longer there, almost as if rage was taking over and he was going to burst..which is exactly what happened next.

"Because you left us! I was scared and didn't know what was going on and I looked around for you and you were gone an-"

He broke down into tears after that, his mother making an attempt at what I thought was comforting him. She simply hugged and hushed him, saying that she would never leave him and loved him very much. Making the excuse that she had gotten a phone call that was 'very important' and 'just had to take it!' It didn't work though. Matthew continued to hug himself and tears continued to flow softly down his cheeks. 

"It was you wasn't it," their mother said walking towards me. "Your the one who turned my Anthony gay!"

The room went silent and I was horrified at what she had just tried to accuse me of. For a start you can't 'turn' someone gay and secondly how dare she have the right to shout that to me in the middle of a bloody hospital!