Chapter 1 : The Start of the Beginning

(About 1 1/2 years before the match between Itachiyama and Karasuno)

Eichiro POV
(Before school - In the gym)

"What do you think of the players that we have currently," I ask as I check down the players here today. "Do you think any of them have talent?"

Peering through the list, the current captain, Torashiki, calmly examines each person's profile and chuckles. "Don't worry about it Eichiro, it's hard to choose players for the boys volleyball team before seeing them play," Torashiki says with a smile. "Coach Ukai is pretty strict when it comes to training so we'll see which ones would meet our expectations. After all, stats of a player don't determine the player themselves."

I frown seeing my lax friend. "We are aiming for nationals are we not? It's our last year and I want to be big. Teams like Shiratorizawa, Date Tech, Aobajousai, Nekoma, and Fukurodani will be a challenge for us. We must pick out the best players out of all those trying out in order to be the top." I explain to him.

"Eichiro if you keep talking like that you'll grow gray hair," Torashiki teases and I push my glasses up.

"I will not. I am doing my job as vice captain." I frown with my arms crossed. "Jun left the team after we got into Nationals last year and we lost immediately after that. Now we are struggling to find any players that have the same skill level as him." I let out my frustration and grit my teeth.

I hate players like him who give up so easily. It's annoying.

"I know Eichiro, but don't worry about it," Torashiki laughs to calm me down. "He's going to come back once he opens his heart to volleyball." He grins.

"He's one of the top players in the nation. How can we let go of a player like that?!" I agrue back and Torashiki gives me a sad smile.

"He didn't tell you, but he told me why he wanted to take a break from the team." Torashiki says as he stares at the paper with Jun's profile. "As captain, I want him to take a break off the team until he feels he's ready to come back. I don't want to have a good player in the team who doesn't even want to be on the courts."

"This is how I feel about him. I hate him. He's annoying, but I want him back. I enjoy winning," I bluntly tell him.

"Pfft. Hahaha you've always been so straight forward haven't you," Torashiki ruffles my hair and a vein pops on my head.

"You dumbass! That's just the way I am! So stop treating me like a kid" I angrily shout back slapping his hand off my head with my cheeks flushing bright red in embarrassment.

"Eichiro..." Torashiki puts his hand on my shoulder and looks at me with a serious look on his face. "You need to settle down and find yourself a girlfriend," Torashiki says and nods his head imagining it. "I advise you to ask Ayu out I think she likes you." He grins. "We can even go on double dates. Iena would like that. Hahaha." He merrily laughs and I glare at my friend who's acting like an old man in front of me.

"C-Calm down Eichiro. It's just a suggestion," he nervously says and I sigh.

"I'm not planning to date anyone. I just want to focus on volleyball." I push my glass up proudly and Torashiki sweatdrops.

"At this rate you're going to marry a volleyball," Torashiki comments with a dubious look on his face.

"Shut up!" I shout and throw a volleyball at him.