Chapter 4: Train Troubles

"Rosie! Get up! You'll be late for the train" I heard my Mum shout from the kitchen. She always cooked me breakfast on September first, and Nelly was always given the day off. Daddy also apparated me to the train station. It was always like this.
My relationship with my parents was actually very good, despite them rarely having time to be home with me. We only really ate family meals on holidays or when Daddy had business affairs that he brought home. Mum worked as a healer at St. Mungo's, in the ward on the fourth floor. She was actually the main witch working on the Longbottoms.
I showered quickly, drying my hair with a flick of my wand. Mum and Daddy didn't mind when I used magic at home. In fact, they encouraged it. They had no disdain for muggles and squibs; they merely liked that I was learning to apply the magic I learned in school to everyday life.
I chose some black leather skinny jeans, a light green shirt, and some combat boots to wear to King's Cross. Once I was presentable, I carried my two trunks downstairs and set them in the study, where we would be apparating from.
"Morning Mum, morning Daddy!"
"Good morning, Rosie!" Mum said, smiling and laying plates on the table. "Say, darling, would you mind terribly if I asked you to get the quiche out of the oven? I need to get the fruit out and prepared." She said. I smiled.
"Not at all mum." I grabbed the oven mitts and went to the oven, pulling out about ten single serve quiches. Some were bacon, some sausage, and some that were just vegetables. There were also some chicken and broccoli that I knew were for the train ride. I set them on a cooling rack and went to help Mum slice the oranges.
Mum and I both shared a love for baking. Not by magic, but the Muggle way. My specialty was pies. Chocolate, strawberry, pumpkin, buttermilk, even orange. Mum loved making brownies and cakes. But her pies were almost as good as mine. Almost.
Breakfast was rushed and silent; I had to be on the train early for the meeting with the new Head Boy and Girl. The head boy, Jaques Frelle was a Slytherin. He was nice though, and he played fair. He also happened to be Esmé's boyfriend. Esmerelda Mandez (Esmé's real name) was my best girl friend and my Hogwarts room mate. She was a half-blood. Her father was a wizard, and her mum a muggle. Her father was killed when she was only three by Bellatrix Lestrange. She was raised by her mum, but she was aware of the wizarding world. I couldn't wait to see her.
After breakfast, Mum shoved a lunch sack in my hands, with the quiches, fruit salad, pumpkin juices, butterbeers, and a few bars of Honeydukes chocolates. I gave her a hug, and she told me she'd see me at Christmas, and that I should bring a date. I rolled my eyes, but told her I'd try.
Daddy and I apparated to Platform 9 3/4 and he helped me put my trunks in the cargo car. I would summon the merchandise trunk once we left the station.
I made my way to the head compartment, were Jaques and a very familiar dark haired girl were busy snogging.
"Ahem." I coughed, but they didn't notice. I rolled my eyes and tapped Esmé on the shoulder.
It was quite comical to see how quickly she jumped. Jaques didn't think so though.
"Rosie!" She said, realizing it was me after a string of choice words. "How are you? I haven't seen you all summer!"
I smiled softly, but I knew there was no point in lying.
"I've been coping. I just.. I miss him so much." I said, my eyes tearing up. She nodded and hugged me. Just then, Draco, Pansy, Ron, Hermione, Ernie, and Hannah walked in.
Jaques clapped.
"Wonderful. Now we just need Emma and Martin, and we can start!" He said. Pansy sneered and went to hang off Draco's arm, but he shoved her off. How pathetic.
Draco's eyes were pleading with me. I rolled mine and turned to Hermione.
"Hi, Mione! How're you?" I asked cheerily.
"I'm doing good. I can't wait for lessons to start!"
We talked about our summers, and I asked her how S.P.E.W. was coming along. She said that a few second years seemed interested in joining. I also told her about my new merchandise, which she said she would love to help with it.
Just then, Emma Jones (Gwenog Jones's younger sister) and Martin Pearson bursted in. Emma was wearing a Ravenclaw tie, even though she was a Hufflepuff. As for Martin, when he took his place beside me and the two new prefects, his ears were red. The seventh year prefects, Roger Daives and Estella Hilbrand, had crept in after Emma and Martin. Rolf Scamander and Elaine Schroeder were the new fifth year prefects for Ravenclaw.
I tuned out the orientation presentation, staring out the window. I wasn't the only one who wasn't listening, however. Draco was staring at me. Again. I don't know why, but he seemed to be pleading with me. I raised my eyebrows in question, and he shook his head slightly. His eyes shut, and he reached up, to a pocket and pulled out an origami dove. It fluttered to me, and I opened it.
I need to talk to you. Meet me in our old cabin. 4:00. Bring no one.
-DM
I sighed, but before I could crumple it up, the parchment returned to its folded state and flew back into his hand. He was still staring at me, not paying attention to anything but me.
I nodded.
||||||||||
"So... What was Malfoy staring at you for?" Ron asked me as we left the compartment. I rolled my eyes and shrugged.
"He probably wants me to protect him from the big, bad Pansy." I said, and Hermione and Ron rolled their eyes and laughed. They bid me goodbye as I continued to the compartment that Esmé, Luna, Ginny, and Neville had taken.
"Hi, Rosie!" Ginny greeted. I hugged her and smiled.
"Hi, Gin. How was your summer?" I asked, and she groaned.
"It was awful. We were staying at Snuffles' place and there was so much cleaning to do. Not to mention that mum was shrieking at us to stay away from the dining room unless it was time to eat." She told me. Sounded like fun. I decided to summon my merchandise trunk, and hand out the displays that I made specifically for my friends.
For Luna, there was a Ravenclaw hoodie that spoke riddles. For Neville, a red T-shirt with a roaring lion. For Ginny, I made a pair of Gryffindor themed leggings. Esmé got some Ravenclaw leggings as well. I decided that I would give Draco a Slytherin shirt while I was visiting him; I needed a Slytherin model and he was definitely capable.
"Oh, these are wonderful! I can't wait to try these on, I'll use them for Quidditch!" Ginny said, then blushed madly. Neville looked at her funny.
"You don't play Quidditch though, Ginny." He said. I mentally scolded him. She huffed and muttered something about try outs before getting up.
"I'm going to go find Michael." Esmé wiggled her eyebrow at Gin, and received a rude gesture.
We decided to play a game of Exploding Snap after Ginny left. The trolley came by, and I volunteered to get everyone something. When I went out, I ran into Harry.
"Oh, crap, I'm sorry, Harry. Here, let me help you up." I said, holding out my hand. He grabbed hold, but before I could pull him up, someone bumped into me, causing me to fall on top of Harry. I got up, cursing to myself, when I saw that Cho was the person who pushed me.
"Watch where you're going, Maverick." She said haughtily, then turned to Harry. "Oh, hi, Harry. Are you alright?"
He slung an arm around my shoulder and grinned.
"Never better." He said. I blushed what I am sure was a very impressive shade of pink, and then do you know what the cheeky bastard did? He winked at me!
Cho turned away, bought her pumpkin pasties, and left. I looked at Harry and laughed.
"You're blushing!" I said, giggling. "Yeah, well, so are you!" He retorted.
"Do you like her?" I asked, poking him in the ribs. He was staring down the aisle.
"I mean, she's pretty. But I don't fancy her. She's a right foul git, if you ask me."
I chuckled and bought thirty chocolate frogs.
"We're having a chocolate frog party. Join us? Ron and Mione are on patrol."
He shrugged, bought a pack of Droobles and some Cauldron Cakes, and followed me to the compartment.
We were greeted by an enthusiastic Luna, whose new hoodie was telling a riddle.
"The more of these you take, the more you leave behind." It repeated over and over again.
Luna was looking pensively at the ceiling, and Neville had his hands in his head.
"Footsteps." Harry said, and the sweater stopped repeating itself. I looked at him, and he shrugged. "After the sphinx in the maze last year, I learned quite a few riddles."
A heavy silence settled on compartment, and I took a deep breath. Cedric.. I miss you.
"He misses you too, Rosie." Luna said. I opened my eyes. "You whispered it. He wouldn't want you to hurt so much, Rosalie." I nodded, wiping my eyes. I looked up to find Harry smiling down sadly at me.
This isn't your fault, Harry. I pleaded silently with my eyes. He nodded slightly and pulled me into a hug.
"So, who wants chocolate frogs?"
We ate and talked, laughed and played. By the time 3:50 came around, Harry was asleep on the seat next to me, Luna had the Quibbler out, and Neville was playing with his cactus. I left easily, after covering Harry with my cloak.
I walked the silent aisle to the bathroom and changed into my school robes. Then, I made my way to our compartment from fourth year. Draco Malfoy sat on the seat, his head in his hands. When I entered, he looked up.
"Rosalie? I thought you'd blow me off. I'm sorry, I'm a mess." I touched his shoulder, expecting a tingle in my stomach like I used to get. There was nothing but emptiness. But, I held no bitter feelings.
"Draco, what's going on? Are you alright?"
"No, Rose. I.. I hate myself." He said. I was shocked. "I didn't mean to hurt you Rosie. I know I did hurt you. It's what I do best. Hurt people." He whispered the last part, and my heart broke for him. "And now.. Now you probably hate me."
"I don't hate you, Draco. I realized that we weren't meant for each other last year." I found myself stroking his hair. "Can we still be friends?"
"Of course, Rosie. I'm sorry I pushed you away."
We talked about our summers, and I gave him the Slytherin merchandise and some chocolate frogs.
"Remember, Draco. You're always welcome at my place. I told Mum and Daddy that you didn't hurt me and they're fine with you."
"Thanks, Rosie. For everything."
||||||||||
"Rose, over here!"
Neville shouted, waving at the carriage. Harry was not boarding the carriage, rather reaching up. I bounded up to him, but he seemed like he was in a trance, reaching up to touch something that wasn't there.
"Harry?" I said, and he turned sharply, then smiled at me. "What are you doing?"
"Trying to touch these horse things. I wonder why they stopped pulling themselves. You know, the carriages." I gave him a puzzled look.
"Harry, there's nothing there. They're pulling themselves, like always."
"No, seriously. Give me your hand." He said, holding out his. Hesitantly, I gave him my hand, and he pulled it up and placed it on something invisible. It felt leathery, and cool. "I told you. But, why can't you see them?"
Before I could answer, Ron was shouting at us to get in the carriage.
"Don't worry, Harry. You and Rose are just as sane as I am." Luna said, looking up from the Quibbler only momentarily. Ron snorted, but my glare shut him up quick.
We arrived at the Great Hall swiftly, and all too soon, I had to leave my friends.
"Luna?"
"Hmm?"
"What were those things, and why couldn't I see them?"
"They're thestrals, of course. You can only see them if you've seen someone die." The words struck my heart like a knife. Cedric.. "That's why Harry and I could see them. I've been able to see them since first year. It's what got me my nickname, Looney. I suppose to others, it looked as though I was petting air."
"Oh. I'm sorry."
"It's not entirely bad. The thestrals are very good company."
As we took our seats at the Ravenclaw table, I noticed a short pink blob at the Professor table.
No.. No it can't be. I thought to myself. But there was no mistaking that frilly demon, or the bow that sat infamously upon her head. Umbridge.