XIX

Over the next few days it snowed non-stop, and I was pretty much stuck in the house with my still angry parents and my sisters, who tried to cheer me up by watching movies with me and trying to get me to help make cookies. But nothing was interesting anymore, now that I knew Liam was off in another city, getting a nice apartment, or another nice house, and he was going to start teaching at a university. He was going to forget about me. I would just be that silly little boy that totally fell in love with him. Wasn’t I? I couldn’t decide what I thought. Did Liam still love me? Did he ever really love me?

            He had to. It had felt so mutual, so strong. And…

            That damn hole was eating at me, pulling me apart, making me unable to eat or even think about food.

            It was Wednesday, a week or so from Christmas, and Louis called me asking if I wanted to head over to his house and make cookies with him, Harry, Niall, and Josh. I accepted, but only because I needed to get the fuck out of my house or I was really going to lose it for good and go crazy.

            “Shit, Zayn, when was the last time you ate?” Louis asked as I got in the car. I shrugged and curled up in the seat, pressing my face against the window. “Zee, seriously, love, I’m worried about you,”

            “Don’t be,” I whispered.

            “You look like skin and bones…fuck,” Louis said, still not driving.

            “It doesn’t matter,” I snapped.

            “Zayn I can’t let you fade away like this…I mean…holy shit,” Louis cursed again.

            “Drive,”

            Louis began to drive down the street, but didn’t stop talking about how much he worried about me and how I needed to eat and forget about Liam and blah and blah and blah….

            “Zayn,” Louis said. I looked up at him. “We’ve been sitting in front of my house for five minutes.”

            “Oh,”

            “Maybe you should…sit down and talk with me. You know, about…everything. Maybe I can help you move on,” Louis suggested, getting out and walking around to my side, helping me out, “Zayn, I’m really worried about you,”

            “I’ll be okay,” I managed a broken smile.

            Inside I sat on the couch, smelling the cookies and watching as Niall and Josh and Harry threw icing all over the place. Louis sat next to me, holding me tight and cooing in my ear. It was really kind of nice, having Louis watch over me like this. However, I still just hurt. They kept offering me cookies and food, but I just wanted to cry. I wanted to eat, but I couldn’t.

            “When was the last time you ate?” Louis finally asked again.

            “I had a piece of a pancake this morning,” I said.

            “No, I mean, when was the last time you ate an actual meal?”

            “I…I don’t know. Sometime before Liam left,”

            Louis’s face twisted, “Zee…”

            “I’m sorry,”

            And then I was crying again. Dear Lord, I didn’t understand how I could continue to cry like this. How were there any tears left?