Chapter 38 - A Wise Old Woman

Even though we started to do our clinical experience last month I’m still not used to the smell of our local retirement home. It’s something like a mixture of peanut butter and stale crackers, with a little dose of urine thrown in as well. In other words, it’s a miracle none of us students have puked yet.

I must say, CNA training is a lot smellier than I thought it would be. It’s still a lot of fun, working with the elderly. I’ve loved every single patient I’ve gotten assigned with so far. Every Friday so far has been great—except for that one time when Jennie from Room 208 threw a fork across the dining room at me. But that’s okay, she’s a bit loopy because of her meds.

“Ready for morning rounds?” Our CNA instructor, Mrs. Tinsley asks from her seat in the middle of the break room.

Everyone groggily replies with, yeses and we head downstairs to the main part of the building. Our wing, the Windsor Wing, is already alive with the sounds of the elderly waking up and starting their days.

We get our assignments and head to our rooms. Even the hallways are dark, thanks to the storm clouds that are blanketing the sky. It’s gloomy, but everyone seems happy enough.

I walk into room 219; my patients are going to be Mary Charpentier and Judith Jovavich. I see that Judith, the one closest to the door, is the alert one. Mary is her less alert roommate by the window.

“Good morning, Judith; Mary. My name is Anna and I’ll be your CNA for today.” I walk over to Judith, who is able to shake my hand. She’s sitting in her wheelchair by the bed, doing a crossword puzzle.

As she shakes my hand she smiles and says, “Nice to meet you, Anna. How are you today?”

I’m surprised that she’s so eager for conversation. Most patients I’ve had are quiet and don’t talk much. This is refreshing.

I answer with a smile, “I’m great, and you?”

“Wonderful.”

As I set out her breakfast I hear Mary stirring. I rush to present her with her meal too. She requires me to feed her, so I pull up a chair and get to work.

Judith occupies herself with her breakfast and watching the news.

I wince when my name—my full name—is thrown around on the Today show. I’m forced to listen to it.

“Ah, yes I heard about that,” Hoda Kotb says excitedly. “So apparently—apparently they’ve already started planning the wedding.”

Kathy Lee Gifford seems very interested; either that or she’s a master at acting like she cares about things like that. She asks, “Already?”

Hoda nods, “Yes, already—it says here,” she reads her index card, “That it’s going to take from now until Autumn to plan—straight through. Like, these planning people are getting no breaks.”

Kathy Lee interrupts her, but then she continues, saying, “I mean, think about it; here you’ve got two royals marrying instead of just one royal and a regular person or one and a somewhat royal person. These are two royals from separate countries getting hitched—this hasn’t happened in quite some time!”

“Ah, yes,” Kathy Lee reminisces. “Most of those arranged royal weddings were during my time.”

I flinch as they talk about the possibilities for my dress before switching to a different topic. Then, I hear Judith say--in slovek, “I know who you are, Your Highness.”

My head snaps up as I struggle to get Mary to eat off the spoon. She meets my eyes with a cool demeanor, almost too calm. None of the elderly have recognized me so far and if they have they aren’t saying anything. It’s nice, to feel completely normal and not have anyone fawning over you.