Chapter Four: Friends?

Slenderman P.O.V

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

I slithered through the shadows, thinking about that girl again. I had saved her from certain death, but that was because she was the only one who could stand to look at my face. The more I thought about it, the more I realized she could be my friend. She had caught me off-guard when she had asked, but I knew what my answer would be next time.

I won't have to be alone anymore, that is, if I don't mess it up and she doesn't leave. I snuck up behind the crazed human and when he turned around he screamed and ran for his life. My work here being done, I went back to where I had left her. She was sitting by the edge, up against a tree. She looked up and smiled.

"Hey, sorry about falling off of a cliff and whatnot. Say, are we friends? You never answered," she said.

It was weird, having someone smile at me. I kind of liked it.

"Yes, we are friends. Now that we've established that, what do you want to do?" I asked.

She was thoughtful for a moment.

"Where do you spend most of your time?" she asked, getting up.

I hesitated, unsure of whether I should show her. I took her by the hand and led her through the woods until we came to the hollowed out trunk. She gasped and looked at it. She noticed the gnarled carvings at the base and bent down to read them.

"Chade, huh? Can I start calling you that instead? It has a nice ring to it," she asked, standing up straight and looking up at me.

I was shocked. I had been known as Slenderman for so long I had forgotten the sound of someone saying my name.

"If you wish," I said.

She smiled and took my hand.

"I wanna show you something," she said, leading me back to where we were by the cliff.

She bent down and picked up her notepad, tearing off a page. She held it up for me, her eyes bright.

"I drew this for you," she said, excited.

I took the page from her and almost dropped it in surprise. It was a picture of me, only I had facial features.

"I guess I'm not that bad looking," I said, holding up the page.

She laughed and picked up her pen.

"I didn't know you could be funny. Then again, you have the other emotions a person would have, so why not humor?" she said to herself, picking her way through the thicket.

The bushes were up to her waist and some had thorns, so I picked her up and tried something new. I slipped into the shadows while clinging to her, taking her with me. I took her back to the clearing we usually meet at. I set her down and looked into her shocked face.

"That was amazing," she whispered, staring up at me.

She stood there for a minute, staring at me. She snapped out of it and looked down at her shoes, blushing.

"Chade, now that we're friends, can we start hanging out more?" she asked.

"You mean more than we already do?" I asked sarcastically.

She laughed and clipped her pen to the notepad. She took my hand and we walked back to my home, I guess you could call it. We sat at the base and talked about pretty much everything, if I needed to eat, if humans can hurt me, the usual. She pointed out constellations in the sky until she started to get sleepy. She yawned and looked up at me.

"Chade, which one's your favorite?" she asked.

I pointed out the dragon and explained the story behind it, but when I looked back down at her she was asleep against my side. I wasn't sure what to do. Should I just leave her? Should I wake her up? I picked her up and took her to and old truck that sat in the woods and laid her on the seat. It would be better than the cold ground. I sat on the hood of the truck and looked up at the sky. For the first time in my life since my curse, I had a friend. The question was, would she always be my friend, or would she turn her back on me for a normal human?