Chapter Two

Being heartbroken doesn't have to just consist of being sad. Any unwanted feeling you get from someone you love, or once loved, can break your heart. And right now, he was almost certain he was feeling jealous and replaced.

He was heartbroken.

He knew because of the shattering feeling he felt in his chest and how the skin around his neck felt too tight. He felt suffocated and unwanted. Truly heartbroken.

[---]

Luke wasn't surprised when Patricia came back early the next morning. He wasn't sure if he was staying the night or not but he had felt secure being so close to his daughter, even if she was asleep upstairs.

Patricia takes off her heels with a sigh, tossing them on the floor by the door. She hadn't even glanced up at Luke which gave him a sinking feeling. But little did he know that she was feeling it too and she couldn't look at him because she knew it would be hard for the both of them.

Luke though was oblivious, asking politely, "How was it?"

She finally looked up then, hazel eyes locking with blue. The corner of her lips tugged upward in an almost smile. She was thankful for his kindness. "It was- It was fun."

She sat down beside the tired man, rubbing her aching feet. Before when they were dating and she came home from work, he would rub her feet sympathizing with her as she walked around in high heels all day long.

"You can go home, if you want. Thanks for watching Lilly."

This surprised Luke as he always stayed an hour or so after she would come home when he would watch her. She would never subtly tell him that she didn't want or need him around. But now he realized that he was merely a babysitter and he wasn't needed anymore.

Neither exchanged any words as he gathered his computer, putting it in the computer bag. He unplugged the charger from the wall, mentally cursing himself for falling asleep and over charging the battery.

Once he had everything, he threw the bag over his shoulder and went upstairs to say goodbye to his daughter. During normal circumstances, he'd never wake his precious sleeping daughter but he felt the need for her to say goodbye and that he loved her before he left.

He pushed open the crayon-colored door and smiles once his eyes lay upon the small sleeping figure on the bed. He walks over to Lilly's bedside and gives her a soft kiss on the forehead before shaking her slightly.

"Mhpf," She moaned, rolling over with droopy eyes.

She looks up at her daddy, a small pout gracing her lips. She didn't understand why he was waking her and so early in the morning. She doesn't even get up this early for pre-school.

"I'm leaving so give me a hug."

She sat up wearily, holding out her arms. He smiles, kneeling down and hugging her tightly. Her head was rested on his shoulder, eyes drooping even more as she was ready to fall back asleep. Luke didn't blame her though as he would love to go back to sleep but he didn't have the option. So he laid her back down gently, careful not to wake her again and kisses her cheek.

"I love you," He mumbles against her skin.

He barely got a grunt in reply but that was enough for him. He then leaves, making sure to close the door behind him just how she likes. She hated when the door was left open, probably a thing she got from her mother because she is just like that too.