f i v e

"maya, what's up?" a drink shoved in my face. i bounced back, startled. the guy chuckled and clutched on my arm. i looked up at the towering shadow. brown eyes, pearly whites, snapback and a book bag, hunter rowland. i don't know why he carries a book bag and wears a snapback all the time but. he was a freshman like me but he was actually cool enough to get into parties without any help.

"hey, sorry." i laughed nervously. okay this party thing was probably not the brightest idea. i grabbed the drink. should i? i examined the drink, bubbles fizzed, dark liquid, uhhhh.

"it's coke." hunter laughed. i shrugged my shoulders and took a sip.

"thanks." i slightly smiled. i held the drink close as i glanced around. i was scared out of my mind. my heart is racing and i know it's not from the coke.

"first party huh?" i shook my head.

"haha, come on." he grabbed my hand, leading me through the jungle of dancers and drinkers. someone bumped me and bye, bye coke.

"nash, she actually came." hunter yelled out the senior once we were in the backyard where the guys were playing football and girls sat drooling. nash walked towards us.

"hunter, don't let hayes see you holding her hand." nash chuckled as he ruffled his own hair.

"trueee!" hunter laughed as my face turned beet red.

"hey maya!" nash shouted through the music. i waved.

"you can seat over there, be social ya know." he pointed to the group of girls. i gave him a thumbs up as him and hunter joined the other guys. does he know that being social isn't my thing.?

"maya!" i turned around. it was no other than kassie. she seemed furious.

"yep?" i smiled. i was proud of what i did and had no regrets, oops.

"what's up with this new attitude and wardrobe?" she scoffed as she walked up to me.

"my attitude is only towards you and the wardrobe is something my mom did so not my fault."

"you might have hayes grier but that doesn't make you a somebody!" she shouted grasping everyone's attention.

"you were finally invited to a party woohoo! big whoop." she ranted on.

" see, i don't even want to go anywhere with this conversation because kassie, if you were my best friend you would know that a guy wouldn't make me a "somebody" i was always known as your little sidekick, it's time for me to be me and that ends with you." i turned to the large crowd.

"everyone with a show of hands honestly believes i'm kassie's sidekick!" hands were seen bright as day.

"okay, how many people knows for a fact that kassie leaves me for her boyfriend every time she gets?!" all hands in the air and they stayed there.

"my point exactly." i pointed to kassie. i walked towards the door, all eyes on me and a new beginning on my shoulders. i didn't want it to be like this but i guys there was no other choice. she started, it was my every right to end it.

you could hear taylor's voice loud and clear as he walked kassie from the center of it all. passed a glass door was safety well from drama at least. people still danced wild and drank like there was no tomorrow. this is the whole teen experience? why did my mom allow me to even come? I walked up the closest stairway. please don't be shovin' and humpin'.

i tapped on a door and waited for something. no sound, all clear, approach! i opened the door and it was a mancave. pretty cool. flat screen, ps4, xbox, popcorn machine; omg, i found paradise!

  i grabbed a controller and put black ops 4 in the console.

"you can't be in here!" someone screamed as the controller dropped through my hands. i stood up and rubbed my neck nervously.

"i uh..."

"maya?"

"sorry hayes." red flushed in my cheeks. he walked to me and gave me a hug. what the hell?

"i didn't think you were coming." he spoke in my ear. he held me close, the scent of axe spray spiraled in my nose. his hands rubbed up and down my back as my head nuzzles in his chest. he spoke softly:

"why aren't you downstairs?"

"not my thing ya know." we moved away from each other but i his touch left me in with freaking butterflies. uhhhh!

"come on let's go dance. i'll stay with you okay?" he gave me that smile again, the one i may have fell for in the beginning, just maybe. i shook my head.

---

we were finally on the dance floor. the music rushed through my body. hayes danced as he watched me finally enjoying myself. we laughed at our jokes and talked as we moved. he wasn't as big of a jerk he was just a kid trying to keep a reputation.

"you're finally smiling." he spoke in my ear over the music. he held my waist as i danced in his arms. i well smiled of course. he turned me around, my back towards his chest and his head tucked near my neck. this was different, the feeling, the connection, the contact, it was just so unreal.

his hands gripped my waist has he moved me side to side to the beat. all eyes were on us. he turned me around and pinched my chin. his crystal blue eyes shined in my face as we inched closer and finally.......